Easier to get into Grad school with 2 degrees?

Mag

Is it?

Currently Im majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology.

I was thinking however, getting a major in Sociology as well would be beneficiary - although it may take an extra semester. (Currently Im a 1st semester Sophomore).

Just wondering what you thought.

I'll probably go through with it, but as far as grad school is concerned, will it help a lot?

for example, if it was between me and someone else, and it looked like this:

Kid - Major in Psych, minor in Soc. 3.8gpa.

Me: Major in Psych and Soc. 3.2gpa

Still think they would take me over the other guy (even though he has a higher gpa)?

You won't get two degrees with two majors. You'll get one degree with two majors attached, not two degrees.

Of course having a double major in a separate specialty will certainly help if it's relevant to what you intend to study, but I don't know if that outranks GPA. Those aren't the only two factors a grad school would consider.

Still think they would take me over the other guy (even though he has a higher gpa)?

Given that choice, and no other information, I would take the other guy. For graduate work, it is more important to get someone who can work well than someone who is very educucated or trained because you can educate them when they arrive (within reason of course).

The main reason why people fail PhDs is lack of motivation.

I'll probably go through with it, but as far as grad school is concerned, will it help a lot?

For our grad school of Biomedical Science, the number of undergraduate majors is irrelevant. The times I've sat on the Admissions Committee no one even looked! Certainly not me. It may be different in the social sciences.

GPA is important in that it must be > 3.0. After that gradations between 3.2 and 3.8 aren't too significant. The GRE is very important. It's a standardized test that can be used to compare students of different schools. GPA is internal and may reflect, to some extent, how the professors graded rather than the student. So GPA is not strictly comparable between schools -- which is why any GPA > 3.0 is acceptable.

Letters of recommendation are important, as is research experience. Again, research may not be as important if you are going to grad school in Psych. Why don't you call around to some grad schools and ask what is important for their admission criteria?

Letters of recommendation are important, as is research experience. Again, research may not be as important if you are going to grad school in Psych. Why don't you call around to some grad schools and ask what is important for their admission criteria?

ah true, forgot about those!

but then again, Im not too worried about those just yet - as I have plenty of time for research (which I will do Junior year) and recommendations.

and the degree would be relevant, because I plan on going into Social or IO Psych. - but even if it wont bolster my chances, I still think I'll go for it.

In anycase, thanks for your input - I just wanted to see if 2 majors would help, more than someone with just 1. :)

I agree with most of the other replies.

GPA, GRE scores, the rank of school where you got your degree(s), letters of rec., research and/or clinical experience.

are all important. In that approximate order of preference listed.

I agree with most of the other replies.

GPA, GRE scores, the rank of school where you got your degree(s), letters of rec., research and/or clinical experience.

are all important. In that approximate order of preference listed.

alright cool, thanks :)

however, Im disappointed that I will not get 2 separate degrees.

but on the diploma it would say: "BS in Psychology" and under that "BS in Sociology" ?

alright cool, thanks :)

but on the diploma it would say: "BS in Psychology" and under that "BS in Sociology" ?

I don't know about your school, but my degrees just have the school names and "Bachelor of Arts" and "Doctor of Philosophy". They state nothing about what the degrees are actually in or even the departments.

I don't know about your school, but my degrees just have the school names and "Bachelor of Arts" and "Doctor of Philosophy". They state nothing about what the degrees are actually in or even the departments.

thats odd.... :confused:

My stats professor has her degrees on the wall, and they all say "Bachelor of Arts Psychology" "Masters of Arts Psychology" and I dont know what her doctorate says, but I know it has the field.

and the degree would be relevant, because I plan on going into Social or IO Psych. - but even if it wont bolster my chances, I still think I'll go for it.

That's fine. I was only dealing with the specific question of whether it would bolster your chances. None of what I said was an argument against going for 2 majors. You do that because you want to.

I don't know. That depends on the school. You should talk to your Bursar and find out what happens at yours. Most schools would just say "BS" and your transcript would indicated 2 majors.