Time can't exist without matter (mass) and motion

Lakshya

Hey guys, today I found a great thought experiment to prove that time can't exist without mass and motion. It can be found by proving photon's rest mass = 0. I don't know the actual derivation. So, I have made my own derivation (this is the one I made to prove photon's m = 0 to my friend). Let's start:

E=mc^2 (Rest energy equation)

E/c^2=m=0 (To prove)

We know that c^2 is a constant so if we want to prove m=0, we will have to prove E=0. Let's take another formula:

E=hv

So, we can prove it by this equation. As we are taking the photon to be at rest, there is no frequency at rest. It will have no frequency. So, we will get E=h*0=0. Putting it in the previous equation, we get m=0. That's how I proved it. But today I thought that in this way everything at rest will vanish from the universe.

Okay let's take this experiment. Suppose we stop every matter in the universe. Then everything will vanish according to the above proof. So, anybody outside the universe will never be able to sense that there's a thing like time.

And this state of stopping everything can be achieved by stopping time. Everything will come to rest and will vanish from the universe.

Hence, we can derive that mass and motion can only exist when time exists or conversely time only exists when mass and motion exist. If time exists and mass and motion don't exist, then we can never feel time. We get that feeling when anything comes into motion. So, both are true.

Thouhts please.

E=mc^2 (Rest energy equation)

yes, this is true for objects at rest. can you tell me what a photon is not at? begins with an r ends in t and has es in the middle and is only 4 letters long.

looks like your derivation faceplanted itself at the starting blocks without even making it to the first hurdle.

Yeah---(s)he has tacitly assumed that there is a good frame where one can take the photon at rest. But one of the postulates of SR is that there IS NO such frame. So (s)he's using the results of SR (specifically mass-energy relationships) in a frame where SR doesn't hold.

yes, this is true for objects at rest. can you tell me what a photon is not at? begins with an r ends in t and has es in the middle and is only 4 letters long.

looks like your derivation faceplanted itself at the starting blocks without even making it to the first hurdle.

Look insane alien, I am doing a thought experiment to find the rest mass of photon = 0 and that's why I had to take it at rest.

time requires change (twice), the distance between this changes is Time.

nothing else, it really IS that simple.

no Mass, no Motion per se, or matter.

Yeah you are right but I have given proof of the statement you just said. Otherwise, you had to use common sense to find the answer and I have just presented you a proof.

Yeah---(s)he has tacitly assumed that there is a good frame where one can take the photon at rest. But one of the postulates of SR is that there IS NO such frame. So (s)he's using the results of SR (specifically mass-energy relationships) in a frame where SR doesn't hold.

Didn't you read that we should be outside the universe to watch this event happen? It's just a thought experiment, my friend.

well, it's an unphysical condition. all matter might as well spontaneously turn into humourously shaped sponge cakes for all the difference it would make.

I haven't said a single thing about 0 K.

well, it's an unphysical condition. all matter might as well spontaneously turn into humourously shaped sponge cakes for all the difference it would make.

Look insane alien, I am doing a thought experiment to find the rest mass of photon = 0 and that's why I had to take it at rest.

and there are other ways to do that but the fact of the matter is that E is not zero and for c to be 0 is unphysical hence the thought experiment is flawed and does not correspond to reality.

Yeah you are right but I have given proof of the statement you just said. Otherwise, you had to use common sense to find the answer and I have just presented you a proof.

a flawed proof. so it really doesn't prove anything.

Didn't you read that we should be outside the universe to watch this event happen? It's just a thought experiment, my friend.

another bit of unphysicalness. by definition the universe includes everything. seeing as this hypothetical observer hypothetically exists then he/she/it would be part of the universe.

I saw no Proof anywhere from you, in fact I contradicted your Post title entirely.

And yes, mine was indeed wrought of Common Sense, I tend to find that a Gram of common sense it worth more than several Metric Tonnes of nonsense :)

unless of course it employs the word "Chicken" repeatedly.

wouldn`t you agree?

But you did. To be completely at rest, a particle must be at 0 K. An object might be considered to be at rest despite its temperature, but it will be composed of particles that are not at rest unless it is at 0 K. Hence, the prerequisites for your proof will never happen, since things cannot reach 0 K.

E=0??? That sounds kinda unphysical you know! After all, matter is energy and energy is matter, you can prove this by the same equation you used above (E=mc^2).Every single body that reaches the speed of light, it's matter is completely turned into energy, and it also has no time (only for outside observers as the time deviation goes infinite). So saying that E=0 is the same as just saying "no mass, no existence", and we know that photons exist.

It sounds kinda weird!!!

E=0??? That sounds kinda unphysical you know! After all, matter is energy and energy is matter, you can prove this by the same equation you used above (E=mc^2).Every single body that reaches the speed of light, it's matter is completely turned into energy, and it also has no time (only for outside observers as the time deviation goes infinite). So saying that E=0 is the same as just saying "no mass, no existence", and we know that photons exist.

It sounds kinda weird!!!

You know that I am talking the photon to be at rest and at rest it's E is 0 and when it's moving then it's not. What's your question then?

I am talking the photon to be at rest

You really should stop doing this, because photons really don't stop. Even when they get absorbed by a Bose-Einstein condensate there still has to be a corresponding transfer of momentum out of the BEC via the 'reference' beam. i.e. energy is conserved in all frames of reference (Al was right).

well, if there is something that can arbitrarily put the laws of physics on hold then the laws of physics do not hold and we can go have tea on the ceiling of a giraffe since that makes about as much sense.

also, there is no 'out of universe' frame. there is no transfer of anything across any boundary that might exist(we don't think there even is a boundary per se. and any observer would be part of our universe by definition anyway.

you need a valid frame to apply physics.