My first day

ydoaPs

was a long one....and the rest will be as well.

For those that don't know, I started work at the Modifications and Additions to Reactor Facilities plant at Knoll's Atomic Power Laboratory. It's twelve hour days and I start rotating shiftwork in seven weeks so it will get worse.

You are quite accomplished. Hope I can get there.

Thank you. I don't think I'm very accomplished, but there aren't too many 19 yr olds playing with nuclear reactors.

What do you mean by "there"? If you mean my job, then there is a real quick way. Join the US Navy. Have you taken the ASVAB? If not, talk to a recruiter. It would be a good thing to do even now if you want to join any of the armed services. I took it in my Sophomore year and got a 95(out of 99). I'll let you in on a secret. The nuke school isn't that hard. People are told over and over how hard it is, so they make it hard in their heads. It's like calculus; it's so simple people overcomplicate it and make it hard in their heads. Boot camp is cake too. No matter what you meant, if you keep at it, you will eventually gain my level of knowledge in whatever field you wish(I recommend never that you cease gaining knowledge). You just have to never give up.

Oh yea, I passed my radiation worker qualification, so I get issued a TLD tomorrow!

well, it's not as if he will need to build a reactor with his bare hands(that's where nuke science can get complicated, designing those can be a bit tricky, especially if they're small). he just has to puch a few buttons when the needle starts edging into the red line on the dial :P (you are becoming an operator aren't you, ydoaps?)

EDIT: okay, swansont says he's a machinists mate, that does involve a few nuts and bolts. but still, its not as if he's making one from scratch.

well, it's not as if he will need to build a reactor with his bare hands(that's where nuke science can get complicated, designing those can be a bit tricky, especially if they're small). he just has to puch a few buttons when the needle starts edging into the red line on the dial :P (you are becoming an operator aren't you, ydoaps?)

Quick, edit your post. He's a machinist's mate. He'll be working on the pumps and other mechanical equipment out in the engineering spaces.

EDIT: okay, swansont says he's a machinists mate, that does involve a few nuts and bolts. but still, its not as if he's making one from scratch.

MMs do all the important stuff! Most people don't know that the watch station responsible for reactor power isn't really the reactor oporator, it is actually a mechanical watch station. Think about how a reactor works and then know that I work on all the fluid and mechanical systems. WE are all that matters. :P