New York Times Online is now free

PhDP

esp. big, colorfully, moving ads that display products and brand names you're already vaguely familiar with.

My parent's recently switched their auto insurance to Gieco... they claim it wasn't because of the ads (which my mom says she hates) but, you never know...

I only recall images of internet ads with young, very attractive, females. Everything else is a blurr.

I believe that they are usually for dating sites. They seem to pop up everywhere in relatively benign locations, like yahoo news. Either I'm a real sicko or they have it down to a science. I hate to think what this is doing to me subconsciously.....

Paying to read Paul Krugman's neo-Keynsian, ABB negativity was like wading through acid to pay your taxes.

Though I must admit I was surprised to see that the numbers were so high. A quarter of a million Times-Select subscribers and a million WSJ-Online subscribers, generating $10 million and $65 million annually, respectively. Those are much bigger numbers than I would have guessed.

esp. big, colorfully, moving ads that display products and brand names you're already vaguely familiar with.

My parent's recently switched their auto insurance to Gieco... they claim it wasn't because of the ads (which my mom says she hates) but, you never know...

Which ones? The caveman, the gekko, the loser? How can someone hate them? :)

Is it true, however, that the websites don't get the money if adblocker is in place, however?

I would rather deal with a few ads than have websites charge me for access.

Seems to me the Ad-Block software is more a response to annoying animated ads than advertisements in general.

How can a site visitor concentrate on the content while a widget wiggles back and forth seeking our attention? The subsequent attention the widget gets is undeserved: the “eyeballs” focus on the animation while the suddenly annoyed viewer loses focus on the content.