Where can i buy chemicals?

ed84c

What chemicals?

For basic lab chemicals just about any simple google search will take you to a company that sells them...

For the more rare chemicals I'd recommend Sigma Aldrich, you have to order over the phone tho unless you're really a company (they'll call you and ask you to fax forms to verify this).

• 4 weeks later...

i had to bump this thread b/c im unable to find either a website or store that i can purchase elemental chemicals from. Im required to either be associated with a school etc., or need a legit reason. Is my only option a garden shop in which to extract these chemical elements from?

well thery definetly arent cheap, so your looking for the more rare elements if your looking at the "extremely expensive ones"

What do you need and what for, cause if its legal and you aint gonna blow anything up i might be able to help with my contacts....im a lab tech

what exactly are you looking for?

Im not looking for anything explosive, if thats your concern. Simply your basic reactions, titrations, crystallizations... etc.

Na, Li, K, Cl, and some compounds to utilize gases in an aqueous state, such as NaOH, and a strong acid like HNO3.

yea ive got several catalouges but you have to have ID to buy from most of the catalouges for most of these chemicals

an Hades K is quite dangerous in pure form as well as Li sodium and chlorine arent to bad though, the only prob you would have is shipping the nitric acid and the other hazardous ones, im only dubious cause its worth more than my ass( and Job) if you get in any trouble so thats my only concern (and your safety)

but if youve got honest intentions and can prove that i will be more than glad to help

i appreciate your help crash, but i dont want to risk someone's for a few experiments. Im going to see what final costs shipped to my door are, of the chemicals i mentioned from that site i came upon.

do you have the sigma aldrich catalog? if so, whats the number to order out of the catalog? i can't find it on their website... and I can't order online because i'm not a real research company, but they told me i could order over the phone.

no fafalone sorry i dont have that catalog, but this was on their website

"United States

Sigma-Aldrich Corp.

St. Louis, MO, USA

Phone: 314-771-5765

Fax: 314-771-5757

E-mail: custserv@sial.com"

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/suite7/CustomerSupport/Customer_Support_Home/Worldwide_Offices/Worldwide_Offices2.html

I live in NZ so i have a different Number i use when i cant over the internet

hope this helps

"Na, Li, K, Cl, and some compounds to utilize gases in an aqueous state, such as NaOH, and a strong acid like HNO3. "

you`ll have a hard time getting nitric acid, it maybe best to make your own!

you can get elemental Lithium from Lithium batteries, store it under mineral oil as it will react with the air.

you`ll not find may places that will get you Sodium metal outside of a metal smelting factory, it comes in 12 and 25gram aluminuim containers. I`ve never seen elemental Potassium ouside a lad though.

NaOH sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda) will be available at most good hardware shops as a drain cleaner (Red Devil Lye).

Chlorine gas is best made as you need it, you`ll need a special permit to own a gas bottle full because of weapons potential.

Any ideas for purchasing in the UK?

And you appear to be concerned with making explosives. Im not a terrorist but i wud be fun to make some out of asprin, if that was illegal i would happily just do something else.

Naturaly I`m concerned about people making explosives, it`s not the smartest thing to do if you have no proper experience in their use or without a proper Lab, even a humble firework can create all manor of havoc if mistreated, so sure I`m concerned :)

secondly if you were a terorist you`de either A) already know how to make better stuff, B) be able to source your own materials C) not likely to be asking on a Public Forum :)

and yes there are explosives you can make with Aspirin, but if the explosion doesn`t hurt you, the Toxicity will!!!

in the U.K, B&Q will have many of the items listed above, the rest you can get from a normal chemists or hardware shop.

I`de concern myself with getting the basics 1`st though. maybe the chemistry set they sell in Argos (I bought one years ago, they`re not to bad for teaching some basics).

realistcly, you have to change your mindset and realise that you`re SURROUNDED by chemicals everywhere, so learn what things are made from, start reading the ingredients on things etc... (it`s also alot of fun!).

over time, there won`t be many things you may need and you`ll know instantly where to get it from.

you wanted Potassium salts in another thread, I gave you some ideas, but did you know the inside of a Duracell battery contains a blue/grey paste that is VERY CONCENTRATED Potassium Hydroxide? :)

Enjoy :)

• 1 month later...

hate to bring up a old thread :D. well im new here so hiy!, erm i was just wondering for places in the uk aswell, im really stuck for getting hold of labware (pyrex ect..) and the basic elements. ive seen some sites but they are only us.

• 1 year later...

Hi ed84c, have you found any way to buy chemicals yet? I need some chemicals but I don't know how to buy them by myself. it seems that all chemical companies don't sell chemcial to individuals. Anybody has any idea or can help on that. All chemicals I need are not dangerous and they can be shipped to my department but I will pay for them by my account, not my department's account.

Why not try on-line photography raw chemical suppliers? They sell quite some chems to the general public. I know of a supplier in the UK, who ships internationally, but I do not post the address here (kewls also read this). If you really are interested, send a private message to me.