water level

murulidhara

the water level stays put unless you consider increasing density due to cold.

the cube is less dense than water so some sticks out above the surface.

it displaces it's mass in water.

1kg of ice displaces 1L of water and melts to occupy that same 1L.

Hehe, your question is a bit ambiguous. If you're comparing it to before you drop the icecube in, then it increases, of course. If, to take it completely literally, you're asking what happens AFTER it melts, then the answer is nothing. ;)

You've effectively poured extra water into the glass. Of course the level goes up.

wont the water level go up- when the cube is put in, and then when it melts, go down slightly?

wont the water level go up- when the cube is put in, and then when it melts, go down slightly?

Once cube is in, the level will stay constant, other than very small possible density effects mentioned earlier. The cube displaces water equal to its own mass.

Once cube is in, the level will stay constant, other than very small possible density effects mentioned earlier. The cube displaces water equal to its own mass.

ah ok.

I was just thinking, since ice forms crystals and creates little air pockets, that the amount put in the glass wouldnt be the same when it melts.

but its so little that its not even measurable, I suppose

ah ok.

I was just thinking, since ice forms crystals and creates little air pockets, that the amount put in the glass wouldnt be the same when it melts.

but its so little that its not even measurable, I suppose

No, it's already accounted for. Put an air bubble in the cube and the cube will ride higher, with the additional volume above water related to the size of the bubble. Unless the air is under pressure, it won't matter. It's no different than making a "dugout canoe" with the ice cube. You still displace an equal amount of mass.