krypton/Kryptonite

Guest blaze13

If you condense krypton then freeze it, youll get solid krytpon.

Combine it with oxygen and in theory you will get kryptonite. No idea if its actually green or if its even possible.

is krypton not one of those joke elements that only exists for a fraction of a second?

Kryptonite probably be KrO3, or possibly KrO2, and it probably would have no charge (although i think the only way for it to be called "-ite" is for it to have a negative charge of 1, 2, or 3... but i don't know how that would work since it's a noble gas)

true, I suppose if Xenon can form compounds its not too far fetched to suppose krypton can do the same.

kryptonite would specifically refer to a species which had one less oxygen atom than kryptonate. Whether either even could exist is still uncertain.

to have the suffix "ite" it would have to contain an oxygen, but it would also have to part of a salt, say potassium for instance.

like sulphite, nitrite, selenite etc...

so although the NAME could exist as say Potassium Kryptonite.

Kryptonite on its own couldn`t, any more than just nitrite could.

hope that makes some sense? :)

• 1 year later...
to have the suffix "ite" it would have to contain an oxygen' date=' but it would also have to part of a salt, say potassium for instance.

like sulphite, nitrite, selenite etc...

so although the NAME could exist as say Potassium Kryptonite.

Kryptonite on its own couldn`t, any more than just nitrite could.

hope that makes some sense? :)[/quote']

here it is a second time. try reading it.

ok ok let me clear this up. krypton can only oxidize REASONABLY to +2, and this is with fluorine under high pressure. it forms clathrates like Kr8(H2O)46 and Kr(quinol)3 as well as [KrF]+[AsF6]- and of course the difluoride which decomposes in water. a higher fluoride has been made and apparently a salt of an oxyacid has been made. ArKr+ and KrH+ have been made and some people say they made either KrXe or KrXe+. nonetheless, just about all of these compounds/ions have been made in recent years... and really, none of these compounds are remotely stable. the difluoride is certainly reasonable to make, but still not particularly easy for people like us...well, considering you have to use elemental fluorine. anyway, the concept of a higher oxide/oxyacid or salt like KrO4 is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to make and contain for any reasonable amount of time. KrO4-2 still is a stretch. KrO3 sounds possible and KrO3-2 more probable. anyway that's just my ten cents