Strongest Possible Acid?

ed84c

Ed84c:

There is no such thing as a beaker of protons. Im not sure if its possible to have a solitary proton floating in a beaker of water anyway.

pH measures the hydronium ion concentration of water. people will commonly write H+ ions when referring to these - this is purely for simplicity.

When an acid dissolves in water, it dissociates into a proton and its conjugate base. The proton, however, does not exist as a proton. it combines with a water molecule to make a hydroxonium (or hydronium depending on the textbook) ion, H3O+. Not a lone proton.

Say acetic acid (vinegar).

CH3COOH + H20 ----> H30+ + CH3C00-

I hope this is clear enough for you, schools tell pupils H+ ions float about in water so they dont have to mention big words. Im not trying to insult your intelligence here - they dont go into detail about acid - base reactions until 5th year (in Scotland anyway, no idea about US).

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

greg1917 said in post # :

There is no such thing as a beaker of protons. Im not sure if its possible to have a solitary proton floating in a beaker of water anyway.

That was my little hypothetical that I comically inserted into the discussion. It was a silly way of saying "strongest possible acid (even if it can't exist)".

• 8 months later...
Guest Spacincutie8

it would be very difficult to have a beaker of pure H+ ions because they would burn through the beaker. sorry I couldn't help relpying ( i notice the stupidest things.)

I like the idea because it is like the one ihad, and ill be damned if I end up like the people throughout this thread that fill it full of technicalities, :P , but i think that would also seperate the water and eventually probably explode. Plus the electrons are very tightly bound towards the inside of a H atom.

Just checked, I'll quote from the Guiness Book of Records 2003:

"Normal solutions of strong acids and alkalis tend towards pH values of 0 and 14 respectively, but this scale is inadequate for superacids, the strongest of which is an 80% solution of antimony pentafluoride in hydrofluoric acid (fluoro-antimonic acid). The acidity function of this solution has not been measured, but even a weaker 50% solution is 1,018 times more powerful than concentrated sulphuric acid"

Now, that's not one I'd like to put my hand in!

I first heard about that acid when I was in high school. The textbook had a listing of the strongest acid, and H2Sb2F6 was listed as the strongest. (I can't remember the exact formula, but it's the acid being talked about in this thread). It's some pretty strong stuff. hehe.

"The acidity function of this solution has not been measured, but even a weaker 50% solution is 1,018 times more powerful than concentrated sulphuric acid"

The Finnish edition doesn't have that mistake :o Good to see that the guy who translated the book actually fixed something. :P

"H2Sb2F6"

Most likely HF:SbF5

@r1dermon, lol. It’s almost as good as some guy that was selling dried leave from his tree. or the empty folder from some ones desk top (computer).

and just to top it off some girl from the UK sold her virginity but that was removed so she made her own website, she got 6K as far as I know.

You can buy almost anything on eBay, a gift to all.