Einstein and Entangelment

Amr Morsi

Hi All,

From the very important papers that are being reviewed now in Quantum Mechanics are those of Einstein that INCLUDED DISCUSSIONS ABOUT ENTANGELMENT of electrons. It says that Quatum Mechanics are describing an overall effect of the electrons upon themselves, upon small ranges. That's why he insisted upon his opinion of QM and QFT (In its early days) being a manifestation of the small range multi self-interactions between electrons, in particular (or as an example).

Would anyone advise what is the common meaning of "Entangelment" that is being used widely these days? Thanks in advance.

:)

Entanglement.

A particle/wave (I will use the term particle here but they are really particles and waves) can have a process applied so that the results of a measurement are in a superposition state, which means there are a set number of options that the measurement can have, and before the measurement it is in all of these states at once.

On measurement it is then only in one of these states.

Entanglement is when a process is applied to 2 particles at the same time, often electrons, and puts them in a superposition, often of spin. So we know that one is spin up and the other spin down, on measuring one of these 2 particles spin's we instantly have have measured the spin of the other one, as if we measure the first to be spin up we know immediately that the other must be spin down. There is no range limit to how far apart these events can occur as long as the state (in the above example spin) has not under gone any change.

And wikipedia will go into it in far more detail than me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

I recall that ions have been entangled in an ion trap. If the particles are charged it's not all that difficult to contain them.

oh lol. I am just thinking when I read about entanglement, like how do they like know that one was affecting the other.

So if get this right Superposition is having the ability to be in more than one state at the same time.

Entanglement is basically two particles in superpostion (spin I am guessing) regardless of distance, measure spin of one of them, getting spin Up, and the other will instanteously be down?

wouldn't comfirmation of the other spin effect the first particle?

either way that's screwed up.

oh lol. I am just thinking when I read about entanglement, like how do they like know that one was affecting the other.

So if get this right Superposition is having the ability to be in more than one state at the same time.

Entanglement is basically two particles in superpostion (spin I am guessing) regardless of distance, measure spin of one of them, getting spin Up, and the other will instanteously be down?

Yes, that is correct.

wouldn't comfirmation of the other spin effect the first particle?

Once you have made a measurement that collapses the wave function the entanglement is lost, so the second measurement has no further effect on the first particle — its state has already been determined. Confirming the state has to take place via some means that is limited to c, so you can't use this to get around that speed limit of transmitting information.

either way that's screwed up.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Quantum mechanics. Check your intuition at the door.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Quantum mechanics. Check your intuition at the door.

lol, as funny as that is....It's the only way I can understand it. I can't get away from it either...If I was smart I could atleast study it without failling everything ( haven't tried but..not hard to assume)...but for some reason and I am sure alot of other people feel the same, they just have to know. I just don't understand why society isn't more interested in understanding the universe in general. I could go on forever on this...so I am going to stop.

Anyways sorry Einstein from hi-jacking the attention!

Gutz,

On the contrary Gutz, the society now is on its way along with QM (If I understood your words correctly). All of us are now sure that QM and QFT are correct (With a real trend towards Unification of Forces). But, what is really being discussed now is the real manifestation of QM. A note: QFT (QEWD and QCD) and is now believed to be the main correct theory and QM (Semi Classical QM) are only an approximation. All Scientists now are talking about QM Interpretations!

Wouldn't it?

;)

I mean more as to the average citizen. You know how we idolize actors instead of scientists. We sort of let the scientist work in the background and know nothing about them or the amazing work they do. Sadly though I guess if science was super popular it would be corrupted by politics and money like anything else.