New style feedback

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new design obviously encouraged some people to post a whole lot (although seemingly in some hidden forums I cannot access - I can´t see his posts), replacing YT as top poster:

Top Poster: smart (4,294,967,295)

btw.: That information which is located on the front page (right box) seems rather uninformative to me, even when it displays correctly.

smart, our former top poster ;) , was all about posting links to video lectures. While these could be valuable smart was not interested in discussion. Agendas which don't promote discussion and lead members away are not appreciated so his posts were removed. Somehow this caused an integer overflow and his post count soared.

I thought it was funny that his profile listed him with a 63,046,280.52 posts-per-day average, which we know is impossible unless you're ecoli. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the avatars on the right, because I used to use them as fast visual identification. Separating them from the name makes this harder.

I don't like the boxes and shadows because they create too much unused space between posts, which means I have to scroll a lot more.

It seems slower.

Too blue.

I do like having the data for the posters on the bottom of the post though. And I like the coloured names rather than icons showing their status.

I've found that over the course of a few weeks, I've gotten used to the avatar alignment. It becomes easier for me to read the name quickly and recognize that, or use peripheral vision to see the avatar.

As for the space between posts, yes, I see what you mean. I can fiddle with the spacing to see if there's a good balance.

We've upgraded servers, so things should be faster.

As for "too blue," well, I'm not quite sure what I can do about that. It wouldn't be too difficult to create a style of a different color, if you have a suggestion for one.

I'm with severian as far as usernames/avitars goes.

I quite like the avvys on the right; could you switch the username and the misc crap around, so the username is on the right above the avitar?

And now ... can you make a "newest style" with both, the avatar and the name on the left? Because that´s where I usually start reading ;). I personally wouldn´t mind any bad wrapping so if it´s possible to have a user-selected non-default style with both on the left, I´d probably use that for me.

Shall I make a new style for everybody, then? :P

I can certainly do that sometime, but surely you can just read usernames, can't you? I have found them just as easy to recognize as avatars.

I'll think about better options for a while and see if there's a good compromise.

that's a bit better; i can catch the avitar out the corner of my eye and tell who it is if they post alot. tho, could it go:

post number & time | misc crap | (space) | username

?

that seems like it'd be a more logical/readable layout, and keeps the username nearer to the avitar.

yup.

user title should be somewhere by the username... i'm not sure wether left or right would be better.

to the right of the username would be more logical, and the usertitles aren't big enough to put the username too far from the avitar, i don't think.

that be much better, thank ye :)

now, if you just make a new style, and invert the position of the post data, user name, misc, and avitar, everyone should be happy :D

Plugin name: PerfectDesign(vbPlugin)TM

Description: this vb plugin magically detects what your users want, and dynamically redesigns the site on a user-per-user basis. it has a 100% user satisfaction rate.

How it works: PerfectDesign(vbPlugin)TM adds every user to the 'banned users' usergroup, greatly simplifying the design prosess.

Known bugs: none reported

I'm not keen on the newer style and positioning of the username, but I guess we can just keep it as a subtheme that people can choose if they want.

Personally I'm quite liking the new SFN theme but I'm slightly biased :D

• 1 month later...