Opinions on Cosmological Pluralism

about whether aliens exist or not. i think he was claiming that we have zero evidence for their existence (which is true) but the consensus among most people is that it is statistically probable that they exist. in other words, the chances of aliens not existing are millions of times lower than for them to exist.

Cosmological pluralism is the feasibility of extraterrestrial life or more than one life existing in the cosmos i.e universe.

Why didn't you just say "abiogenesis"?

Getting life from non-life is chemistry and the chemical reactions are very simple. Start here and we can talk in greater detail:

http://www.theharbinger.org/articles/rel_sci/fox.html

The chemical reactions there happen under a huge variety of conditions -- gravity, atmosphere's, temperature, etc.

Philosophy and poetry denote science-to object only suggest that your measures(mathematics) is materialistic with out abstract tendencies.

Now, scince all of you are sooooooo-intelligent- tell me what is it that I have said-for an intelligent man can take the complex and make it simple-it is your job not mine.

Sorry, but it is YOUR job to communicate clearly, especially in science. Put together a grant proposal or a manuscript for publication and then try telling the reviewers that it's their job to take the complex and make it simple! :D Oh, how would I like to be a fly on the wall when that happens!

he's saying that you and socrates are the same person. i'm sure a little admin wizardry will prove him either right or wrong. my money is on right.

i honestly thought you were socrates before i read the user name.

I am offended. How do I prove that Socrates is not me...can anyone here trace computer information? Socrates lacks support for his incomplete ideas, I on the otherhand wish to prove my difference. I am not him!!

You are Socrates.

Please stick with one account. If you need a puppet to support yourself, you know you're doing something wrong.

I use simple clearcut language. Therfore, I am the contrary, eventhough I lack evidence to support myself. Just give me a chance to prove my difference.

I use simple clearcut language. Therfore, I am the contrary, eventhough I lack evidence to support myself. Just give me a chance to prove my difference.

Either you live in the same house as Socrates or you are Socrates. You share the same IP addresses exactly.

If you wish to discuss this further, take it to a private message, please.

This is understood, but to whom do I owe the misunderstanding to?
Terrible, terrible prose. (It is not poetic, I've read poetry and written poetry, that is not it.) Your original post could have been:

What can you tell me about the feasibility of extraterrestrial life; by the way, I am a pretentious twit.

Or if you wanted it to flow with poetic eloquence then

Beyond the human empire of Terra Ferma; in the assertion that life of extraterrestrial origin exists, what plausibility lies there? I've got to find out, you see. For I need to fulfil the chasm, in my coffee house conversations, coffee house conversations where listeners fall into the chasm that is filled with their own tears of despair when they hear me talking over there, over there, talking where, nobody cares. Because I have nothing, no nothing, I have nothing to say.

Note how shoddy half rhymes and clichéd modernist poetic conventions need not detract from the clarity of your message, especially when most members of this forum are prepared to listen to a low frequency lexicon, presuming that it is deployed correctly.

your use of vocabulary is wrong in any case.

For example:

Pluralism is a term used in metaphysics that deals with the notion that multiple realities exist, as opposed to monism (which supposes that only one reality exists).

And cosmology of course is the study of the universe itself.

If you are going to use big fancy words please use them correctly.

For example:

Pluralism is a term used in metaphysics that deals with the notion that multiple realities exist, as opposed to monism (which supposes that only one reality exists).

So "cosmological pluralism" would be equivalent to multiple universes? So we would be discussing quantum splitting (which really would be plural realities), bubble universe, or multiple universe.

Your original post could have been:

What can you tell me about the feasibility of extraterrestrial life ... Beyond the human empire of Terra Ferma; in the assertion that life of extraterrestrial origin exists, what plausibility lies there?

Hmm. If that is reallly what the OP is about, then I am alone in answering it and providing data! :P

For example:

See that's what I thought...

So "cosmological pluralism" would be equivalent to multiple universes? So we would be discussing quantum splitting (which really would be plural realities), bubble universe, or multiple universe.

I guess that was what it would mean. To be honest, I've never seen those two words used together. Socrates was probably just trying to show off.

As for extraterrestrial life, a lot of it depends on the conditions of the planet. It may not even be water based, I think ammonia-based life was also proposed. And there are still a few candidates in our solar system for the possibility of life. Mars hasn't been ruled out yet, and I know some of Jupiter's and Saturn's moons are speculated to hold life of some kind.

I guess that was what it would mean. To be honest, I've never seen those two words used together.

Neither have I. A google search -- http://www.google.com/search?q=%22cosmological+pluralism%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1 -- shows that nearly all uses of it are Socrates posting on various boards!

As for extraterrestrial life, a lot of it depends on the conditions of the planet. It may not even be water based, I think ammonia-based life was also proposed.

When discussing "life" on other planets, you always have to be careful to be sure what is being discussed. Is it "life" in general, even if it is only microbes, or does the poster mean "sentient species with a technological society"? Both have been used in this thread.

A lot of the chemical reactions that make up "life" depends on the chemical properties of water. Particularly, on the water's dipolar nature and high heat of vaporization. We did discuss ammonia in biochemistry class as a possible substitute. It is bipolar. However, the problem is that ammonia boils at such a low temperature. That means very little energy available for chemical reactions of proteins or other macromolecules dissolved in the ammonia -- a very low metabolic rate, IOW. So, theoretically possible but not very likely. However, I've seen sci-fi stories even speculating with liquid hydrogen as the solvent. That yields even slower metabolism lifeforms.