Plasma!!!

aommaster

What are the following changes of state called?

Solid To Plasma

Liquid To Plasma

Gas To Plasma

Plasma To Gas

Plasma To Liquid

Plasma To Solid

I know, i know, it's all related to plasma (hence the title). I searched for it on google, but came up with nothing, so i thought i'd post it here!

Edit:

Some of the symbols weren't working porperly, i had to change them to 'to's!

gas to plasma would be complete ionisation

plasma to gas would probably be De-Ionisation :)

the others don`t exist, although the thought of seeing liquid plasma (other than that used in hospitals, LOL) would certainly be interesting :)

• 2 months later...
What is plasma? Isn't it a form after gas, or is it between liquid and gas? I thought it was after gas, but after reading yt's post, I'm now confused.

A plasma is basically a gas of charged particles. Once the temperature is high enough, there is enough thermal energy to ionize atoms and keep them from recombining. The behavior of such a collection of particles would be distinct from the other more common phases of matter.

Ok, are plasma useful anywhere. And how does it behave differently from a gas? Because it basically is gaseous right?

One difference is that it contains ions, so they have interactions via the electric field rather than through collisions as with a gas.

There is more here with more links included.

The remaining parts of those atoms are left with a positive charge, and the detached negative electrons are free to move about.

the most important part of that link, when looking for a definition of plasma.

plasma = nuclei of atoms (protons + nuetrons) and free electrons.

Don't the simplest plasmas just strip electrons off inert gases causing photons to be released. This can be done with electrical potentials and low temperatures. The plasma most people think about in Sci-fi or stars is at higher temperatures and electrical fields to ionize down to elementary particles.

A plasma should search for a stable configuration as soon as exernal forces are stopped as they need energy added constantly to exist.

Just aman

Don't the simplest plasmas just strip electrons off inert gases causing photons to be released.

For removing electrons we need to supply energy, and photons are released only if the electrons jump from the higher orbit to the lower orbit. But in the process of removing electrons they don't jump to the lower orbit. Thus no photons are released.

• 2 months later...
Guest erebus
Ok, are plasma useful anywhere. And how does it behave differently from a gas? Because it basically is gaseous right?

I believe our sun and all stars are made up of plasmatic matter. Do not quote me on this, but I might have read somewhere that most of the matter in the universe is of plastmatic nature(other than dark matter, of which we could not account for quite yet).

hmmmm... from what I heard:

-Solid

-Liquid

-Gas

-Plasma

-Bose-Einstein condensate

-Fermionic condensate

I, however, have no idea whether there is a finite amount of states of matter, I think that htere must be. Also, I know very little about the last two!

well i'm making up a phase of matter for my science fiction novel to get around einstien's hyperspace theories. i figure if we keep discovering more phases it's not too far-fetched to assume there's more we haven't discovered, and it also wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume that maybe Einstein's theory only applies to matter in the phases we are familiar with, and if we could figure out how to convert a solid into "hypermatter," it could travel at speeds faster than light. (does that sounds plausible enough?)

so anyway that's all speculative and does nothing to answer your question but it's fun to think about

shards'

• 1 month later...
well i'm making up a phase of matter for my science fiction novel to get around einstien's hyperspace theories. i figure if we keep discovering more phases it's not too far-fetched to assume there's more we haven't discovered' date=' and it also wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume that maybe Einstein's theory only applies to matter in the phases we are familiar with, and if we could figure out how to convert a solid into "hypermatter," it could travel at speeds faster than light. (does that sounds plausible enough?)

so anyway that's all speculative and does nothing to answer your question but it's fun to think about

shards'[/quote']

Well then u must convert yourselve into massles particels first.. too even reach the Speed of light.. Travel for u would then be very nice since time to u would be apearing to halt! Faster than that theories says that those particles would need to have imaginary mass.. Or maybe travel backwards in time (all extremly speculative) Best bet is to somehowe create fictionel wormholes to be able to warp space instead!

Good luck on the Writing!