Tea

Royston

I drink a lot of both black and green tea, and I would never put milk or sugar in. THAT would make me want to throw up. Of course, I also take my coffee as strong and dark as possible with nothing in it (except espresso shots), so it could be I'm just more manly than all of you.

While normally I'd insist that there's one way to take your coffee, and that's as black as possible, I have to admit I'm partial to mochas

I'm really picky about coffee though... it needs to be strong or it's undrinkably nasty to me. Same with tea, I guess...

It's that watered down flavor that drives me nuts

I like anything that has a bit of a bite too it. Liquor mmm! I just love that concentration.

I have tried tea with milk, just not my thing I guess. I wouldn't say anyone is a wuss, it's just all preference, I find beer more harsh than whiskey depending on the carbonation.

Coffee though I put tons of sugar and milk, oddly enough. I just realized that...

Well, tea is and isn't one plant.

Any black, oolong, white, or green tea is all from the same plant, processed in different ways.

Red tea is from an African plant called the rooibos (red bush).

And herbal teas are of course, free of the leaves of the Camellia sinensis (tea plant).

As for me, it depends on the tea as to whether or not I go for milk. Some blacks teas are really enhanced by milk, especially chocolate teas...mmm, chocolate teas.

"Herbal tea" or "red tea" aren't teas. These are comonly used terms to alternatively refer to tisanes.

It may seem odd at first but the word tea doesn't include "herbal tea". Though many commonly missuse it in this fasion.

Though personally I rather like rooibos. :)

For a great cuppa, billy tea just can't be beat.

Take a tin can, fill with water and place on campfire to boil.

Once boiling, throw in a handful of tea and remove from fire to draw.

Take the billy by the handle and swing it around in a vertical circle 3 times. (Gets the tea leaves to settle.)

Pour into cups and drink.

And only a wuss uses anything but his bare hand on the tin to pour the tea.:D

I remember playing cards with some friends...long time ago, where we had to perform a task if we lost. One of these was to place a spoonful of coffee, and a spoonful of sugar in your mouth, and then swill it around with some hot water and swallow. It was such a long time ago, I can't even remember if it was me, or one of my mates that had to do this.

The Tree, I know what you mean about milk as a perfect accompaniment to some drinks and just a big no no for others. A very dangerous drink is a brown cow...kaluha and milk, that tastes just like a choclate milk shake, not sure if anyone's tried a brown cow. Vodka and milk, yeargh...I can safely say I have no intention of indulging in that, ever.

As for coffee, I'm equally partial to a black with no sugar or an espresso, as a milk and sugar, mocha or latte. Black coffee in the morning really does the trick. I try not to drink too much (especially at work) because it has the tendency to give me a very short fuse.:mad:

Yeh, I was just saying that people avoid using that term.

John B, since when did tin cans have handles?

Snail, apparently vodka and milk is called a White Russian, its worth trying though. Whiskey and milk however, is called a Black Russian, which is odd because they are both different shades of white. The Brown Cow sounds interesting, most beverages are worth a try methinks.

Snail, apparently vodka and milk is called a White Russian, its worth trying though.

Doh, I've had a white russian, (some time ago...one of those nights where you go through half the menu at a cocktail bar) but I'm sure it had coffee liquor as an ingredient as well. Should of figured it was milk and vodka, considering the colour.

The Brown Cow sounds interesting, most beverages are worth a try methinks.

I recommend it, and I agree...you never know what you might like until you try it. I guess some combinations just sound too foul to even be considered.

Whiskey and milk however, is called a Black Russian.

I think the correct name for whiskey and milk is "disgusting". Its bad enough to mix good whiskey with ice cubes, let alone milk.

A Black Russian is vodka and kahlua.

Its bad enough to mix good whiskey with ice cubes, let alone milk.

QUOTE]

True. But there is an awful lot more bad whiskey out there than good. Good whiskey will cost no less than US$ 100 per bottle. It is to be drunk neat.

Bad whiskey is everything else and needs an additive to make it palatable.

John B, since when did tin cans have handles?

You buy them that way now as "Billies". The originals were tin cans with two holes poked through at the top and a bit of fencing wire as the handle.

Think of something like a 1 gallon paint tin but witha different lid, no joins and smaller, normally about one quart in volume and modern ones are aluminium or stainless steel.

And they are never, ever washed.