Who is the wisest of them all?

alt_f13

Depends. Not all professors and researchers have "life experience".

As far as I know, Radical Edward is working on his PhD and already has two masters. Glider just finishes his thesis defense if I recall correctly. Both of them are obviously very "wise" in their respective fields. I can't remember if Sayo and MrL are working on some sort of graduate degrees...I'm sure there are many others who I just don't really know about..

Aman probably has the most "life experience", because he's one of the older ones among us.

In conclusion, I'd have to say I'm the wisest.

Oh please, no one can compete with the great Fafalone!!, who knows alot about alot of subjects, the other "wisests" have a narrow field of expertise. And certainly have more life experience than blike, who hasn't yet begun to live.

Sayonara³ said in post #6 :

LuTze and I both finished our degrees already, MrL is working on his afaik.

Not atm, I'm changing course next year and have yet to decide what to change to (Mathematics; the FUN option, with less work, or NatSci (Physics and Maths) with 50% CompSci for the first year (which involves less trouble, as I don't have to deal with a department outside my own)).

Although that should really be ignored as, when I had my interview at Durham University, it was established early on that I knew what I was talking about, and was going to get a place, and spent the rest of the interview talking about Bose-Einstein Condensates (a 3rd year topic at durham) and the research that my interviewer was doing (superconductors as it happens).

[edit]

I'm 20, to give you the sort of time frame we're looking at.

blike said in post #3 :

Depends. Not all professors and researchers have "life experience".

As far as I know, Radical Edward is working on his PhD and already has two masters. Glider just finishes his thesis defense if I recall correctly. Both of them are obviously very "wise" in their respective fields. I can't remember if Sayo and MrL are working on some sort of graduate degrees...I'm sure there are many others who I just don't really know about..

Aman probably has the most "life experience", because he's one of the older ones among us.

In conclusion, I'd have to say I'm the wisest.

Yep, Blike remembers correctly; I've been a PhD since October. My first degree (1995) is in Psychological Science (50% Psychology, 50% Physiology/Neurology). However, if it's 'life experience' we're talking about, I have the following: Five years military (Royal Artillery; joined at 16, left at 21), including a tour of duty in Cyprus and a stint with the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery. I've been an undertaker (a year), a builder's labourer, a (hunter) stables manager, a security guard, a despatch rider, a phlebotomist on a Renal Transplant Unit (4.5 years) which ran concurrent with my job as a part-time Lecturer teaching Psychology and Research Methods & statistics (8 years).

I have lived: In barracks (5 years), on the streets (3 months), with Hell's Angels (18 months), in a nurses home (2 years), I once moved house (bedsits) six times in one year. Throughout, I have always had me trusty steed. In 1979 it was a Triumph Bonneville till 1984 when I got a Harley Sportster (iron head, which I rode to Africa), till 1988 when I got a Harley FXEF 1340 evo, which I have ridden all over Europe (France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Greece), until for some unknown reason I rode it into a roundabout Dec 6th 2002 and smashed it and me. I healed, although my left thumb (which snapped) and right knee still hurt sometimes. The bike is in the (slow and expensive) process of being rebuilt. I have had a chequered past, and (to quote Roy in Bladerunner) I have done....questionable things. I regret none of them.

In conclusion, I'd have to say Blike (having not joined the Army or lived with Angels) is probably the wisest.

• 2 weeks later...
alt_f13 said in post # :

Who is the wisest of them all?

Where are the older fellers with the life experience?  Is anyone here a certified prof/researcher/engineer?

a TRULY wise person would never claim to be such, I`m sure :)

and lets not forget our Female contingents amongst us :)

As far as experience is Id say YT, and im affraid a degree does not make you "wise", you can actually obtain a degree and still not be as knowledgeable, as many people who do not have degrees, just look at Spielberg, I would say one of the wisest directors of recent time, and he only gained his degree, not so long ago.

wolfson said in post # :

you can actually obtain a degree and still not be as knowledgeable, as many people who do not have degrees, just look at Spielberg, I would say one of the wisest directors of recent time, and he only gained his degree, not so long ago.

It's not like Spielberg has been trying to earn his degree since he left school though, is it?

"Some people who don't have degrees are wise enough to get one" does not automatically mean "someone who has a degree might not be wise", which (in turn or in isolation) doesn't lead to "not all degree holders are wise, so we won't consider degree holders in our quest for wisdom".

Thnx for the vote man :) though I`de hazzard to say others here will disagree with you also (nature of the beast). And not knowing everyone on here, I couldn`t (and wouldn`t) comment anyway :)

Sayo, "It's not like Spielberg has been trying to earn it since he left school though, is it?"

HUH?