Saddam Hussein executed

YT2095

Unfortunately it take a man like him to hold together a divisive contentious country with so many factions to deal with . Maybe he should have been reinstated with his wings clipped .Look what happened to Jugoslavia when Tito died . If he had not engaged in international exusrsions he would still be there . It is a tragedy compounded by the near total ignorance of our International disaster of a President who had no historical perspective , understanding & acted as he did with trumped up half baked reasons

It's good that such a horrible man is gone, but I don't think it should have been televised, that brings us down to his level.

It was televised so that everyone would know he had definitely been executed. Otherwise conspiracy theories would have very rapidly spread.

When is it bush's and blair's turn to be hanged for their crimes agaist humanity?

Get a sense of perspective.

It's good that such a horrible man is gone, but I don't think it should have been televised, that brings us down to his level.

The Iraqis didn't believe his sons were dead until they saw the pictures, so they wouldn't believe he was dead until they saw it for themselves.

I'd be paranoid about it if I was stuck under a dictator like him for so long.

I don't care if Saddam was executed or not, because he doesn't bother or alter my life in any ways.

And don't say, "What if Saddam blowed this city?" questioned by my girlfriend. I told her that he would never blow this place because it's a small city, and he got no enemies here.

I don't care if Saddam was executed or not, because he doesn't bother or alter my life in any ways.

And don't say, "What if Saddam blowed this city?" questioned by my girlfriend. I told her that he would never blow this place because it's a small city, and he got no enemies here.

So you don't care about anything that doesn't directly effect your little life?

What narrow horizons you must have.

I'm not sure why I would care if the real Saddam wasn't executed. Fellow Sunni or not, Osama HATED Hussein (as so many people kept reminding us whenever the Bush administration tried to connect Hussein to 9/11). Hussein tortured and executed Sunnis who disagreed with him without blinking an eye, and even worse, he failed to protect Sunni rule. The idea that he's going to become a martyr for Sunni extremists now is pretty laughable.

(Like they need an excuse to blow Shi'ites up anyway.)

So you don't care about anything that doesn't directly effect your little life?

What narrow horizons you must have.

Yup, it's the same issue with gay marriages. Gay people don't bother me so I didn't care if gay marriages were legalized or not.

Hussein tortured and executed Sunnis who disagreed with him without blinking an eye, and even worse, he failed to protect Sunni rule. The idea that he's going to become a martyr for Sunni extremists now is pretty laughable.

If anything, it makes it look like a muslim that refused to maintain a religious extremist state finally had his lapses catch up with him, whereas people who adhere to extremist religious views like Bin Laden manage to slip through the hands of their enemies, almost as if they had Devine Will on their side.

At least that's how it'll likely look to those religious extremists. That's really the sad part.

Yup, it's the same issue with gay marriages. Gay people don't bother me so I didn't care if gay marriages were legalized or not.

That may be true for gay marriage, but you have to realize that the world is so complex and interconnected that Saddam's choice of monogrammed handkerchief manufacturer may decide which college you are accepted into.

whilst SH and gay marriage might not directly effect you, the way in which they're handled might. eg, if gay marriage legislature -- something that doesn't directly effect you -- is handled stupidly, what's to stop legislature that does directly effect you being handled stupidly?

similarly, even if SH's death doesn't directly effect you, the way in which it was handled might.

The reporting on this thing is pretty ridiculous. I can just picture terrorists sitting around planning their next moves, watching some TV, and taking their cues from the media. They know all about the politically correct dogmas about "understanding root causes" and "empathizing with people's struggles" and whatever other nonsense people are using these days. I think it's all a bunch of crap.

It's like when a toddler falls down and barks his shins, and then looks around to see if a parent is watching before turning on the waterworks. We're acting like that crazy parent who screams "ohhhhh!!!!!" and runs over to give them attention, and then wonders why they're crying so loud!

Here's a tip for the mainstream media: SUNNI EXTREMISTS DON'T NEED A REASON TO KILL SHI'ITES. They have all the incentive they need every time they see a Hummer drive by. Are they watching the same war I am?

The Middle East needs to grow the **** up. It's not some ancient cradle of civilization teaching us important lessons about humanity. It's one of those stupid inflatable tents at an overcrowded party for out-of-control five-year-olds, and the parents are too far away to see what's going on. And it'll be fixed when the parents stop screwing around and fix it.

Making his 'death squad' completely composed by shi'ites and then allowing them to publicly taunt him seconds before his death seems like a very bad idea. He came over looking rather dignified.

On the other hand, it was good that they allowed a small public funeral. That gives some sense of closure rather than martyrdom and conspiracy theory.

The Middle East needs to grow the **** up.

I agree.

It's not some ancient cradle of civilization teaching us important lessons about humanity.

I think it's teaching us a few things about submission and control. The main reason there is hatred to the degrees seen in the Middle East is that lots and lots of impovirshed individuals (who aren't well-off usually because of ineffective and/or oppressive governments) are very frustrated and are easily extremized by religious leaders that teach them all sorts of "good" things and in the process justify the killings of Westerners.

It's one of those stupid inflatable tents at an overcrowded party for out-of-control five-year-olds, and the parents are too far away to see what's going on.

I agree.

And it'll be fixed when the parents stop screwing around and fix it.

I agree, assuming that "fixing" is just that and is well-executed. But now I have to ask you this: how does one do it?

I think it's teaching us a few things about submission and control. The main reason there is hatred to the degrees seen in the Middle East is that lots and lots of impovirshed individuals (who aren't well-off usually because of ineffective and/or oppressive governments) are very frustrated and are easily extremized by religious leaders that teach them all sorts of "good" things and in the process justify the killings of Westerners.

True enough, that's an interesting point. God help us if we DON'T learn more about submission and control, as you so eloquently put it, or it will almost certainly be our downfall. We're are probably standing astride the defining historical moment of the early 21st century.

I agree, assuming that "fixing" is just that and is well-executed. But now I have to ask you this: how does one do it?

Well I don't claim to have all the answers, but I think we have to stop fighting amongst ourselves for reasons that have nothing to do with the region, but are rather about our own internal and external struggles, such as moral character or global economics (to return to my inflatable tent analogy, we're busy over at the BBQ grill showing off our fancy jewelry and new cars).

We have to shake off our reliance on traditional mainstream media, which is rooted in the undermining influence of ratings-based profit, in clear conflict with the even distribution of information. The free Internet has the potential of making that happen, but only if we allow it to do so, which will in part require public investment in private infrastructure along with regulation to guarantee privacy and the integrity of the public domain. That will be painful ("OMG terrorists are using unregulated email!!!!11one!!!", etc), but we don't have any real choice here.

And we have to start working together with other nations to suit global purposes, not domestic moral agendas. Mind you, that doesn't mean knuckling under when other countries decide that they can solve their problems by forcing us to do things that they have no interest in doing themselves (i.e. unfair trade practices/restrictions, global warming treaties, etc). But it does mean no more cowboy, big-stick diplomacy (e.g. neo-cons). We have to stop saying "well if they can't play fair, why should we?"

My philosophy in a nutshell, for what (little) it's worth. :)