If we could, would we go to Mars?

moteinc

We at Mote Aerospace, are interested in finding out; "If we could go to Mars, would we go? We have the technology, and we thought there was interest in Mars. So, would you go???

yes we have all you suggest and desire. what we don't have is the money.

NASA has Mars in there plans, per Bush's recent speech. the launch will be from the Moon and so on...

what is "Mote Aerospace" if you do not already know this...???

you have lots of company; many would go if given the chance. your age is in line, if the program is not set back. 2040 is what i hear. your more qualified for other research areas and a career with any governmental agency is not a lucrative endeavor.

If I had the money I'm not sure if I wanted to go considering a) it takes long to get there b) it's a boring looking piece of rock. I'd prefer a place with something like hydrocarbon seas or some sort of nice crystal formations.

I would go, at the drop of a hat, my only problem is I have an injury that means that I will never be able to undertake such a mission (but if they can ever fix it, I will be willing to go). I think that such a journey is necessary.

One day Earth will no longer be able to support human existence (for a variety of reasons - asteroid, overpopulation, etc, etc), so we need to be able to get off this rock. Such a journey to Mars would demonstrate and test the needed technologies to move people between the planets safely. Even a failure would be important as it would allow us to understand the difficulties more.

This would not be about exploration of Mars, we can do that fairly well with rovers and satellites. This is all about humanity being able to get all their eggs into more than one basket.

Long term habitation is another hurdle to overcome, but this would be a first and important step.

do you think if man wanted to; some form of a dome or enclosure around cities with climate controls systems would be a little easier than flying to some planet and having to do this anyway? synthetic food is not very appetizing but if required people could adapt. we already eat mass produced everything from lettuce to fish and most meats. dome in the San Joaquin Valley in California and they can feed a billion of so alone all year. by the way the cost to dome a 50k person town is about the same as a single shuttle flight and if it become necessary labor should be no problem.

travel to other planets will answer some questions. not only to our little solar system but to whats in the universe. this knowledge could entice mankind to travel into deep space, develope means and really find some interesting things. also the technology will grow and as usual man will benefit directly.

Just going into space would be awesome, but having the opportunity to visit another planet would be uber-awesome. I guess it probably won't be the best place to take a holiday, but clearly you'd be involved in research et.c

So not only do you get the trip of a lifetime, you'll probably be involved in a significant discovery on Mars, so I'd go without hesitation.