protesting for the sake of protesting

ecoli

Does anybody else think the protests over the papal visit to Turkey are ridiculous. From the BBC:

"Tens of thousands of people protested on the streets of Istanbul at the weekend, calling on the Pope to stay away or apologise for comments he made about Islam in a speech in September."

Considering that he already apologized numerous times and has justified his perfectly legitamate intellectual speach analyzing past christian attitudes.

It seems that middle eastern Muslims don't even need a real reason to protest christianity or the West anymore.

edit: by the way, why is Turkey being considered entry into the EU? Are they even in Europe, or is this a political ploy by Europeans to show the world that they don't hate muslims?

I suppose it has something to do with the pope being a symbol of some kind.

Does anybody else think the protests over the papal visit to Turkey are ridiculous. From the BBC:

"Tens of thousands of people protested on the streets of Istanbul at the weekend, calling on the Pope to stay away or apologise for comments he made about Islam in a speech in September."

Considering that he already apologized numerous times and has justified his perfectly legitamate intellectual speach analyzing past christian attitudes.

It seems that middle eastern Muslims don't even need a real reason to protest christianity or the West anymore.

edit: by the way, why is Turkey being considered entry into the EU? Are they even in Europe, or is this a political ploy by Europeans to show the world that they don't hate muslims?

I suppose it has something to do with the pope being a symbol of some kind.

So why don't we start protesting Muslims coming into this country? We want an apology for being called the great satan. We want a heartfelt apology, complete with remorse and some kind of rehabilitation program - like a 'Western Tolerance and Sensitivity' class or some kind of therapy that Muslim leaders can go through.

I suppose it's possible the Pope's apology was buried on page 45 of the Istanbul Post. And people tend to forget hearing what they don't want to hear. Shouting overrides reason.

Semi off-topic, it could be interesting to have Turkey as part of the EU. I've always thought watching a neighbor prosper was a better inducement for change than war. Nothing beats an appeal to tradition like keeping up with the Joneses.

Semi off-topic, it could be interesting to have Turkey as part of the EU. I've always thought watching a neighbor prosper was a better inducement for change than war. Nothing beats an appeal to tradition like keeping up with the Joneses.

And yet it hasn't caused the middle east to change much at all. I realize the US may not be their neighbor, but Europe arguably is, and watching them prosper hasn't done much more than humiliate them as they retain their archaic framework. They just despise and defame this prosperity by brainwashing their people to believe it's drenched in sin and the result of bedding with the devil.

It's too bad too, because I'd love to see them redirect their hatred and obsession with death and religion to building, constructing, educating...advancing.

And yet it hasn't caused the middle east to change much at all. I realize the US may not be their neighbor, but Europe arguably is, and watching them prosper hasn't done much more than humiliate them as they retain their archaic framework. They just despise and defame this prosperity by brainwashing their people to believe it's drenched in sin and the result of bedding with the devil.
I was referring to Turkey being the neighbor who will prosper for the rest of the neighborhood to see. Europe isn't predominantly Muslim but if Turkey can join the EU, retain the best parts of their culture and religion and benefit from it it will be a beacon to other Muslim nations that change doesn't have to be bad.

I was referring to Turkey being the neighbor who will prosper for the rest of the neighborhood to see. Europe isn't predominantly Muslim but if Turkey can join the EU, retain the best parts of their culture and religion and benefit from it it will be a beacon to other Muslim nations that change doesn't have to be bad.

I would love to be wrong about this, but I'm thinking the Muslim nations would be quicker to condemn turkey for allying itself with the infadels rather than see the sense in prosperity in cooperation and tolerance.

I would love to be wrong about this, but I'm thinking the Muslim nations would be quicker to condemn turkey for allying itself with the infadels rather than see the sense in prosperity in cooperation and tolerance.
In the beginning of course they will. They *have* to. Such a move would be viewed as sleeping with the enemy.

It can only be hoped that Turkey would eventually (sooner rather than later) become an example of a Muslim nation allied with the infidels that still retained it's heritage and integrity. The fact that it enjoys a better relationship with the rest of the globe through association would hopefully spark others to follow in the pioneer's footsteps.

There would be many stumbling blocks to overcome but if the proof outweighs the shouting I think many could come to see it as a way to compromise without losing face. Turkey must have a plan to accept admission without becoming a western nation copycat. Surely there is a way they can join the EU without giving up their culture completely.