Sandwiches

Hades

I think all too often the praises of sandwiches are humbled. Places like subway and the like have lost the classic aspects of a sandwich. So i wanted to create this thread devoted simply to the art of sandwiches. the best food next to tacos. so, discuss, and build your favorite sandwich. nothing pretentious like pickled galvanized nails on sourdough.

so, sandwich: Boiled ham, roasted peppercorn turkey with havarti dill cheese on seeded jewish rye topped with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, spanish onions and a jalapeno mustard. or mayonnaise pending the mood.

I want to hear your sandwiches for inspiration!

a thick wad of hot and peppery pastrami with black olives tucked in, on toasted sourdough, the baby-swiss melted into the bread as well as layered on the meat, with thick sliced dill pickle, bacon, tomato slices, a thick layer of crisp lettuce, hot mustard, and maybe jalepenos or some sorta hot pepper

I'm a big fan of the classic sandwiches, tuna mayonaise. with some lettuce, cucumber and spring onion through it. its the closest thing to ambrosia this world has. i'm eating one now while furiously typing away at my lab report and this post. god i procrastinate too much.

The best sandwiches are when you're feeling bored/crazy and you throw every ingredient in your cupboard together and discover it's actually tasty.

A nice combo I discovered is Avacado, humous, cajun, ketchup, ham, mayo, pepper, fresh basil and lettuce all in pitta bread. Before you judge me, try it, it's delicious.

My other favourites are... the classic tuna mayo, BLT and Corination Chicken mmmm

I'm actually a fan of Subways. Sure, they don't put much emotion behind the art of sandwich making, but they are by far the healthiest and best tasting fast food out there.

I don't have any particually preferences for sandwiches I make myself, as long as there's a lot of stuff on it. The thicker the better.

yes but what about the people handing out all the leaflets? they really suck, i was walking down the street(coincidentally eating a sarnie out of greggs) and asked me if i ever went to subway when it was obvious i wasn't even interested. so naturally i chucked the remainder of my sandwich at him(don't worry it wasn't that good the mayonaise had started to turn)

Subway is healthy? I mean, I suppose it's not McD, but still!

I'm generally quite boring with food. For example I would live off plain pasta, maybe with a simple bit of cheese or mushroom source, but you get the idea. So when it comes to sandwhiches, for me, it's gotta be warm white bread with egg mayo (or tuna and sweetcorn). Although it's gotta be good egg (or tuna), not some cheap and horrible imitation of the real thing!

My favorite sandwiches are panini. Panini is the plural of the Italian word for sandwich, and is basically an American bastardization. They're typically served on Ciabatta or Focaccia bread (with my preference overwhelmingly being the latter). Focaccia is essentially pizza dough, so a great panini is simply tomato and mozarella.

How about a Plain honey and peanut butter on toasted whole wheat, I haven't had this since I was a kid but it is a sweet sticky mess, that I used to enjoy.
Always extra chunky peanutbutter of course, such a beautiful substance, compatible with honey or banana slices or marshmallow cream or dill pickle slices. And as you said, always toasted.

I was once told by someone who worked in subway that I should never eat there becuase the staff have been known to 'tamper' with the food and are generally quite unhygenic. However I still go, subways just too nice, plus where else can you get food at three in the morning.

panini

oh panini dont be mad i forgot you. a sandwich on focaccia bread is hands down the epitome of a sandwich. all sandwiches long to be in between two warm pieces of focaccia. well, ciabatta is usually warm tho i've little preference among them