mouse trap car...help!

Kerri

i am suppose to build a mouse trap car for school...it must go 2m forward, pick up an object and go 2m backwards without touching it. i can get it to go forwards and pick up the object but not backwards. my design is fairly simple..there's a string attached to the axle.. the other end is attached to the part that comes down on the mouse. you pull that part back and wind up the string by turning the axle back. when the part that hits the mouse springs forward, it unravels the string and spins the wheel. but i have no idea how to make it go backwards.

any hot ideas would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd go with edtharan on the revesrsing mechanism.

the mouse trap can close very slowly, use a fairly small spindle and large wheels to get the most distance out of the trap.

put the cart on the starting line, roll it forwards while winding the string on the spindle, get it as close as possible to the finish, put the string around the post, and wind it up backwards to the starting line.

make sure you have a lot of traction, any wheel spin could have you slamming into the object or not reaching the starting position.

use rat traps for more power!