A Bad Day for Uncle Saddam

Sayonara

He was guilty before the trial even started. There is no way any court would have found him innocent--too much political pressure.

Hehe. Can you imagine? "Hussein Verdict: 'Not Guilty' on all Charges - Is Free to Go" And yet the whole idea of the trial is to maintain that possibility, otherwise it's just a kangaroo court.

Hehe. Can you imagine? "Hussein Verdict: 'Not Guilty' on all Charges - Is Free to Go"
Character - bush
corner_tl.gif corner_tr.gif
tail.gif

I called Mr. Hussein and apologized for the whole invasion thing.

He was pretty nice about it and we're going to go

golfing or something real soon, on me.

Now about this bill for US$340 billion the GAO sent me....

corner_bl.gif corner_br.gif

I am vehemently against the death penalty, for anyone, so I can't agree with the verdict. However, what disgusts me the most is that my government (and the UK government), whose respective positions are officially against capital murder, have come out to support the punishment. The hypocrasy is mind-boggling!!!! Our government is currently campaigning for the death sentences of several Australian citizens to be commuted in Indonesia. It makes me so angry that people put revenge and blood-lust above justice!!

I don't think anyone thinks he's guiltless.

For the record' date=' as Sayonara³ points out, we had a thread where a lot of evidence was cited which showed that many of Saddam's whole village wipings-out were part of the Iraq-Iran conflict (back when he was on our side). In particular, at Halabja where 5000 Kurds were gassed there was a big question of whether the Kurds were aiding Iran. Also in question was who used the gas (it was a type normally used by Iran, not Iraq). Also, the gas used was for dispersal, trying to force enemy soldiers from fortified positions (such gasses are fatal only if you stay where the gas is). The idea is to toss in the gas and shoot anything that runs out of the smoke.

My objection to the sentence is purely one of function. Publicly executed he *will* be a martyr and his crimes will be compounded by others that will be done in his name. Imprisoned for life he becomes a broken tyrant, bereft of everything a proud man would consider worthwhile. I think the latter is far more humiliating and it has the advantage of being just without meeting brutality with more brutality[/quote']

Don't misunderstand my post Phi. I was really just answering Craig's question and throwing in a little extra. Although, the disagreements about the extent and method of his killings is noted.

By the way, I do agree with you. You are absolutely correct in that it will likely make a martyr out of him. On the one had, it's hard to think that he would really have any supporters. But the bottom line is, it's their guy.

Don't misunderstand my post Phi. I was really just answering Craig's question and throwing in a little extra. Although, the disagreements about the extent and method of his killings is noted.
I understand. I remember the previous discussion and what I learned from it was that Saddam was responsible for a lotta death in Iraq, and that made him a magnet for lots of other killing he may not have done. It's easy to believe he did it all but it's probably not the case.

By the way, I do agree with you. You are absolutely correct in that it will likely make a martyr out of him. On the one had, it's hard to think that he would really have any supporters. But the bottom line is, it's their guy.
I suppose it's just politics. You'll believe anything about *their* guy, and you'll defend *your* guy to the hilt. It's wierd but we all do it to a certain extent. That's why conspiracy theories are so dangerous. A little becomes a lot and then it all gets explained away and your left thinking, "What if *some* of it were true?"

Dude, he's wiped out whole villages.

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but they really only convicted him on like 148 counts of murder in Dujail from back in 1982.

To try him on every murdered, tortured and raped soul would extend his lifetime, like 10 fold.

Genocide - definition of -the murder of a whole race or group of people, my quote of 'did he not wipe out a whole village' was a reply to the previous thread......so I'm no DUDE. read all the previous threads and then my reply will be put into context.

Genocide - definition of -the murder of a whole race or group of people, my quote of 'did he not wipe out a whole village' was a reply to the previous thread......so I'm no DUDE. read all the previous threads and then my reply will be put into context.

I'm not sure what your beef is. I'm agreeing with you. I pluralized the word village for a reason. So yes, I believe he has commited genocide.

But others in this forum have apparently started some threads on the subject and they've gone further into it all, so I'd dig into those if you're really curious about it.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd reject the DUDE label - that's a cultural insult where I come from. We would have to walk 10 paces and then turn and throw poo at each other until submission...

I'm not sure what your beef is. I'm agreeing with you. I pluralized the word village for a reason. So yes, I believe he has commited genocide.

my mistake

But others in this forum have apparently started some threads on the subject and they've gone further into it all, so I'd dig into those if you're really curious about it.

will do

Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd reject the DUDE label - that's a cultural insult where I come from. We would have to walk 10 paces and then turn and throw poo at each other until submission...

:) okay I conclude