Mass @ c

Alpha-137

Dear Forum

Can anyone show me the math that will show Einstein’s mass stretching, or becoming

elongated at, or near the speed of light.

Did he show this mathematically, or just theoretically say that it would occur? Personally

I hope that there is actually math that I can see, and use.

:confused:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The math that I am looking for should explain the stripping away the

electrons and the weak - electromagnetic forces of the mass and then the

separation of the neutrons and protons to the strong forces limits.

and what the hell has that got to do with mass in relation to velocity?

hmmm, i thought velocity was more of a condition and acceleration being an action.

if you fire something off relative to another obect at an extremely high velocity then its not going to just disintigrate because that would mean every object in the universe should have disintegrated by now.

Dear insane_alien;

We can not at this time make mass move @ [c] but we can come very close to simulating it. And I am looking for the math that would explain it.

The simulation set up is much like a wind tunnel test. No, we can not make wind @[c] !

But we can take a 2in. plate of iron and send an high intense inferred light beam through the iron plate that simulates that portion of the plate moving @ [c] through a field of light.

It is the math that would explain this action that I am looking for.

you talking about length contraction?

any book on special relativity will talk about that.

Ok; I will bite?

Can you explain Lenght contraction in simple math, Please

Yes I know that most books on relativity talks about it but non gives the math on it.:confused:

We can not at this time make mass move @ [c] but we can come very close to simulating it. And I am looking for the math that would explain it.

The simulation set up is much like a wind tunnel test. No, we can not make wind @[c] !

where did i say we could move anything at c?

But we can take a 2in. plate of iron and send an high intense inferred light beam through the iron plate that simulates that portion of the plate moving @ [c] through a field of light.

really? can you cite a source explain how this simulates an impossible event?

Can you explain Lenght contraction in simple math, Please

if this is what you meant in the first place why didn't you ask that?

oh and google is such a wonderful tool link of the gods

Dear insane_alien;

Are you saying that you do not see that this is a simulation of the that portion of the iron plate is moving through a field of light.:confused: :confused: :confused:

i really don't see how that simulates lightspeed travel.

The only effects i can see happening are heating (and possibly vapourization) of the plate and electromagnetic pressure. nothing to do with motion.

Dear insane_alien;

Well think of the iron plate being in a wind tunnel ; but instead of high-speed wind we are using very speed light-particles moving @ [c] ! Just as if the iron plate was moving @ [c] through a field of light.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dear insane_alien;

Well think of the iron plate being in a wind tunnel ; but instead of high-speed wind we are using very speed light-particles moving @ [c] ! Just as if the iron plate was moving @ [c] through a field of light.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Light is always travelling at c, according to an inertial observer. Shining light on an object does not simulate the object moving at c; it always "thinks" it's at rest. (inferred = infrared?)

Anyway, length contraction is a Lorentz transformation: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html#c1

Dear swanaont;

I do not think that Lorent transformation is the math that I need????

The math that I am looking for should explain the stripping away the

electrons and the weak - electromagnetic forces of the mass and then the

separation of the neutrons and protons to the strong forces limits.

are you talking about Linear accelerators, Betatrons, Synchotrons or Cyclotrons and such?

EDIT: here I found these:

http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/cyclot.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron

" Cyclotrons can also be configured to strip hydrogen atoms of their electrons, producing a stream of high-energy protons which can be used to bombard other atoms to produce short-lived positron-emitting isotopes suitable for PET imaging."

taken from the later site.

Ok;

What I am looking for here is the math that explains what Einstein said that if a mass

was to move @ [c] it would be come elongated or stretched out.

In this case one atom of iron moving close to the speed of [c].

ironatc.jpg

I assume you are talking about length contraction of spherical objects, such as ions in a collider. They do indeed become rugby ball shaped when travelling at high velocities.

The basic reason for this is that length contraction only applies to the direction of motion.

Any book on speical relativity will talk about this.

For a start look at these links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_contraction

http://www.spacetimetravel.org/fussball/fussball1.html

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/mmedia/specrel/lc.html