What kind of Spider is it?

YT2095

here`s a pic I took of an ordinary Domestic house spider, except it`s much bigger than I`ve seen before, any Idea what type it is and why it`s so big?

http://www.yt2095.net/experiments/spider1.JPG

this thread isn`t a competition by the way, and I know there`s much bigger creatures out there in different countries and pets etc... but this one`s totaly "wild", I`de love to know what sort it is though.

any clues?

http://http://www.loven.plus.com/nicksspiders/tegenariagigantia.htm

Maybe that? Looks a bit like the last two pics.

I'd guess it's an old male one as they supposedly have long legs. He's probably looking for a lady spider. Interesting that it's missing a leg and the surrounding legs look a little longer than those on the other side. Perhaps they have grown longer to account for the missing leg?

Hmm well it has a doubled http:// at the start. I edited but it's still there, despite which it now works for me. If it still doesn't work for you copy'n'paste this into a browser:

http://www.loven.plus.com/nicksspiders/tegenariagigantia.htm

[edit, this post makes much less sense with the auto linkage, but dammit with this many links one of them is bound to work]

there`s no leg missing? it should have 8 for a spider 6 for an insect (if I rem correctly).

the Light IS awkward though, have a look closer to the body, you`ll count all 8, I think you maybe on about the top row of legs, it has a middle one bent down slightly, and the light tricks it to looking like one :)

it took me a second too, to work out where the other was, look at the body and try follow the lines :)

it`s not a great pic, I was more considering the scale and something to guage it by :)

i hate spiders. :P there are very disgusting. Jus imagine those legs crawling slowly on your back. You turn your head behind.... and ...

WAH! :(

P.S. I hate all kinds of insects. They seem to be poisonous animals.

When my dad inherited my great Aunt's house a good while back, we used to have loads of those things that came up from the foundations between cracks in the floor-boards.

They were huge things - I seem to remember someone using the common name "sand spiders" - might be a place to start looking...?

actualy looking closely at the coloration, I can well imagine it would be quite difficult to see in the sand or on a tree, not so difficult on the front room wall though :)

I find it interesting why so many people fear them though, reading some of the above coments like : "disturbing", "disgusting" and even "poisonous" !

we`re like so many million times their size, and they`re alot more scared of us that us of them!

personaly I`de sooner have 10 spiders like that in my house than 1 meat fly (now THEY are disgusting!).

don`t get me wrong, I know small can kill too, and I would have to remove a Black Widow if it was in my house, sure, but I wouldn`t kill it. a Fly I`de kill!

I`m not sure where, but I read that in your life you`ll swallow at least 2 spiders in your sleep! I don`t know how true it is, but it`s certainly food for thought! (excuse the pun).

Nighty Night :))

It's an urban legend.

URL: http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm (1 pop-up)

I have seen spiders do some odd things. For instance there is a species in the UK which lives in mating pairs. I have observed such a pair emerging from their hiding place and patrolling the perimeter of a room at the same time each evening - in two separate properties.

Funny you mentioned that, I`ve seen that behaviour before also, I never clocked the time, but it was 2 nights in a row in the bedroom, and it would do a full circle along the top of the wall in the corner by the ceiling, get to the door and go back again (don`t know where it went I fell asleep).

I`de love to know where something that small, (comparatively) gets all its energy from, because to scale, it`s quite a long walk!

actualy, that IS odd?

unless it was 2 lads on a night out trying to "Pull" LOL

usualy the male does the "wild thing" then gets eaten soon after.

I`ve never really considered them to be "social" creature per se, always thought they were more like automatons driven purely by immediate need and reaction to environment. sounds like I need to update my views! :)

did you know, that the tiny little "Money Spider" as their called/nick named. has a venon that quite easily kill or hurt us, and it`s only the fact that thier mandibles or teeth can`t penetrate our skin, that saves us! I think it needs alot more than one bite though, but that`s how the fact was presented on one of these Animal Documentaries.

We've had Wolf Spiders in the attic for years and they come out through the ceiling near the lights to feast. Every once in a while they fall down and I put em outside. Maybe that isn't good for them? Do you think I should just keep em in the house like toss them in my brother in laws bedroom or will they be OK in the yard?

Aman

Oh man, that picture has me all creeped out now. Spiders shouldn't be as big as a floppy disk.....ewww. *Shakes slightly* I don't know why I'm afraid of them. I mean, it's completely irrational. There's no way our ancestors that lived outside in the wilderness were afraid of them, so how did we evolve to become so irrational about such things?

I`ve no idea really? I have a friend, he installs alarm systems etc... and he has what would be classed as Phobia of spiders, he`s even deliberately crashed though a ceiling to escape a spider that was just above his head in an attic!

he says the thing that scares him the most is the speed that they can move.

that in itself seems irrational as a good many things move very fast, and he doesn`t fear them? I KNOW he`s telling the truth as he sees it, and he also realises that it makes no LOGICAL sense, but he, non the less feels that way.

Fascinating really :)

Muffin said in post #21 :

There's no way our ancestors that lived outside in the wilderness were afraid of them, so how did we evolve to become so irrational about such things?

We didn't really. Phobias have to be learned. Our ancestors evolved a 'healthy respect' for certain things (e.g. snakes and spiders), i.e anything that we evolved alongside which has the potential for harm. To turn that 'discomfort' at their proximity into a phobia takes a special effort though.

Glider: here`s one for you, see if this makes any sense or has any truth in it, it`s how it was explained to me and made sense, as a result it became part of what I beleive.

I was told that, If, at an early age, a Parent or Protector (someone you look up to as a gaurdian for your childhood frailties) Freaked out when they saw a spider in the bath or whatever, then YOU would also equate this with being extremely dangerous, because if your PROTECTOR is scared! then then it must be something "TRUELY" menacing! and so we retain this information into adulthood, and not actualy know why we fear them.

how does that sound to you?

It's true. The 'learning' of fears and fear responses is a known phenomenon. It has been demonstrated in lower primates and in humans. Not only between adults and infants, but between adults too. It's an adaptive feature.

Again though, phobias are different and require a special effort.