why a "CUP" as a trophy??

TimbaLanD

Apparently the original ashes were dropped on the floor, I can't remember what ashes they used as a substitute, I guess more wickets. As Phi for All said, surely it's to do with drinking/celebrating...something to put the champagne in.

As Phi for All said, surely it's to do with drinking/celebrating...something to put the champagne in.
... or mead, ale, blood of the slain. I'm sure it dates back quite a ways.

They're also called Loving Cups, and they were used in ceremonies where they were filled and passed around to all in attendance.

I say old chap, it appears we're out of bubbly...be a sport and fetch a corpse from the basement, there's a good fellow.
Feh, unlike wine, the blood of a vanquished foe is best when fresh and unaged. And since you're likely to get more than 5 liters, maybe that's why a loving cup has two handles....

in Cricket it also holds the ashes.

the ashes of the burned Wicketts.

So I`m lead to beleive :)

Who were the Wicketts? Were they pukka county set folks? Can't find them in Debretts anywhere.

No the wickets are the wooden posts a batsmen defends in cricket, stopping a bowler who is trying to knock them down in order to get the batsmen out. If the wickets are hit and the bails are down, the batsmen is out. Also a batsmen could be run out when taking runs between wickets if he/she is out of the criece and the bails get knoced down.They could also get caught or get bowled leg before wicket to get out.

I think the story behind the ashes was when England lost for the 1st time to Australia this weirdo journalist burnt some ashes(maybe they were the stumps as YT says) saying that these were the remains of English cricket. The next time England played Australia at home, they beat them and they were given a cup with the ashes(I think, I'm not sure) that they then retained. Ever since then this has been an ongoing series held between the 2 countries every 2 years.

abskebabs:

Well, see, Iknew that! You know when a joke has backfired when you have to explain it.

I was gently taking the mickey from an Englishman's failure to spell wicket correctly.

Perhaps I should not have done; see Martin's new topic on laughing at mods

What is the history behind giving the winning "CUP" to the winners!! Its practiced worldwide! Anyone know what the story is?

Greeks did it. Dont know why.

word "trophy" is greek.

some cups were given as gifts to the temple of a god you were trying to thank, or played some part in some semi-sacred ritual

someone said it had to do with drinking and that must surely be true.

drinking to celebrate a victory, and give thanks, and then leaving the cup of celebration in some public place as a remembrance

dont have any hard information on this, only vague hunches. asking about the HISTORY behind it is a good question though

So a person can put it in the center of the town square.

- Vlad Dracula reference.

There are many anecdotes about the philosophy of Vlad Tepes Dracula. He was for instance particularly known throughout his land for his fierce insistence on honesty and order. Almost any crime, from lying and stealing to killing, could be punished by impalement. Being so confident in the effectiveness of his law, Dracula placed a golden cup on display in the central square of Tirgoviste. The cup could be used by thirsty travelers, but had to remain on the square. According to the available historic sources, it was never stolen and remained entirely unmolested throughout Vlad's reign. (source)