The evolving thread...

insane_alien

Ok so i've noticed that in a lot of threads just now it all seems to be going horribly off topic before being closed by a moderator and ending what could have been a good discussion if it had its own thread.

Since i'm a bit of a fan of how a discusions topic can change over time(how me and my friends got from a debate about the matrix trilogy to the monarchy of sweden i will never know) i wanted to start a thread where there is no set topic and it just gradually flows from one subject to another, hopefully without being shut down by a mod. Just call it an experiment.

So, now to start off with were going to need a topic to begin a half decent disscussion that everybody can get into.... i think we should start with the best starter topic ever:

Whats more awesome, an Orang-utan or a Chimpanzee?

I have to go for the Orang-utan because the wee Orang-utan children look like they are made of orange fluff. and who wouldn't want the huge arms. just think of how hard you could whack the stupid out of a creationist.

Yeah, but the Orangutans end up looking like what a squished orange marshmellow would look like with two appendages. And although they're negotiation of branches and trees is impressive, they're sort of stuck there.

I like chimpanzees. They're more general. Hell, even one has been to space. Not only that, they're buff. I just wish they weren't used in so many bad movies.

What bothers me is neither one of them can swim.

He's the diskworld guy, right? How are those?

Pretty good. I read the first couple, which were amazing. But, I've had "The Lost Continent" sitting on my bookshelf for a while now, and I can't get past the first chapter. It's too confusing. Reading "The Color of Magic" and "The Light Fantasic" should be required by law, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read most of them. I think they get much better as the series progresses and the characters develop greater depth - a bit like the Simpsons. Prachett also seems to increasingly add social commentary, some of which iI suspect may be mised by the non-British (see Going Postal).