Has anyone seen this movie?

abskebabs

Hi everybody. I saw this film a few weeks ago called primer on the movie channel film four, and recently obtained it from a friend. It is definitely one of the best films I have ever seen, and definitely the best in the category of science fiction and I recommend it to anyone reading this. It is not however, an easy film to follow(in fact it may not be the kind of movie to see if you want a regular hollywood movie or something similiarly predictable), and you may also need a basic understanding of physics to be able to understand some of the finer features.

The main reason I'm posting is that I wondered if anybody else had seen the movie and wanted to discuss it and its implications(I still don't fully understand what's going on myself!). What I really liked was that it was a movie that really made me think while I was watching it and, I love that in any movie.

tell me what it's about, and maybe I'll want to see it...

I didn't want to give too much away, because from a personal perspective a lot of the enjoyment I got aout of the movie was just working out what was happeneing as I was watching it.

But seen as you asked; It's basically about 2 engineers who are working with 2 others, part time on making and selling inventions. The 2 which I initially mentioned then decide to start a project on their own and start building this machine and observe weird things happenning. This machine seems to have time altering properties and the implications from there on folllow.........

It's not the kind of movie that's laid out on a plate for you, you have to work out a lot about what is happenning, but for me, that just made it a more enjoyable experience.

I've seen this movie about 4 or 5 times now and I'm glad to say I think I just about understand it now, and it was a thorughly rewarding experience. I'm a little dissapointed no one (apart from ecoli) so much as replied to this thread:-( . It seems to be the situation with a lot of my posts now, I just manage to end discussions well(or other ppl just get bored I guess:-p !)

Sounds like my kinda movie (I like films that keep you guessing throughout), my house mate is an engineer so I'm sure he'll find it interesting to. I'll keep an eye out for it next time we rent a DVD.

Looks like a good movie. Never heard of it till now - though.

That's probably the reason why nobody has discussed it.

Nobody knows it exists !!! (Well I didn't anyway)

Its fairly new as well

Funnily enough, last night, my other house mate told me it was on his list for future DVD purchases. He also said he'd heard good things about it. Here's a review...http://www.starseeker.com/films/primer.htm

I just requested it from my local library. They'll let me know when one of the four copies they have is available.

I haven't read too much of this thread, purposely skipping the parts where you talk about the plot. I'm sure you didn't spoil anything for anyone, but I'm like you, abskebabs, I prefer to know NOTHING about a book or film before I get into it. My favorite fiction experiences have been when I'm completely caught off guard by a movie or TV show. I got to see the first season of 24 on DVD and the only two things I knew about it was that it starred Keifer Sutherland and that each episode was a real-time hour in a 24 hour long season. What a ride!

Can't wait to see Primer. Thanks for the tip!

I'm a little dissapointed no one (apart from ecoli) so much as replied to this thread:-( . It seems to be the situation with a lot of my posts now, I just manage to end discussions well(or other ppl just get bored I guess:-p !)
Soemtimes it can seem as if you're being ignored. What's usually happening is that you've already said what needed to be said and anyone else's comment would be redundant. Don't take it personally, threads ebb and flow like the tide and you can never tell when one is going to really take off and gain interest. Don't forget that this is finals time for many students, too.

I saw Primer a few nights ago. It's good, but I tend to not go for time-travel movies. I liked their explanation of "enter at the B, exit at the A" but it seemed like they were being intentionally vague, like they were showing off how confusing they could be.

It's much better than the average movie, but I can't see watching it again.

Can't wait to see Primer. Thanks for the tip!Soemtimes it can seem as if you're being ignored. What's usually happening is that you've already said what needed to be said and anyone else's comment would be redundant. Don't take it personally, threads ebb and flow like the tide and you can never tell when one is going to really take off and gain interest. Don't forget that this is finals time for many students, too.

Yeah I think I got a bit carried away, and I was also thinking that this thread might just drift into obscurity.

I saw Primer a few nights ago. It's good' date=' but I tend to not go for time-travel movies. I liked their explanation of "enter at the B, exit at the A" but it seemed like they were being intentionally vague, like they were showing off how confusing they could be.

It's much better than the average movie, but I can't see watching it again.[/quote']

That's fair enough, I agree they do seem vague at times, but it's not like they actually made a time machine and could explain thoroughly how it works:D ! I think it's much better than most science fiction movies with this kind of thing. After all, this is the first one I've seen written by a former engineer! Also every time I watched I understood more of it.

I have heard of this movie too. It is supposed to be quite good. It's supposed to be 'sci-fi' in the same way that 'Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind' is sci-fi - it's really about the people and the implications, rather than the sci-fi element.