If planets loose their water etc???

pretender

Why would it go anywhere?

It depends very much on how the planet 'died' It weather paterns become really hot, and there was extreme volcanism, a lot of water would vaporize and enter the atmosphere. But, there was ~the same amount of water that was here when the earth was created, and that number should remain about the same.

The only way I could forsee water leaving the earth if all life forms die, is humans taking it with us when we leave the planet.

it is dependant on the temperature of the planet, and its gravity.

waver vapour could be blown off into space if teh temeratures are high enougth. but if a planets got a signifcant gravitational pull, even gasses may be kept from being blown into space. the average density of saturn is less than 1 g / cu. cm so theres a good example, thats why only large planets can become gas giants.

If the Earth's magnetic field stopped, then we would lose the entire atmosphere, and all the water on the planet, as these would be carried away by solar winds and the planet, as you termed it would "die". I think the Earth's magnetic field is an often overlooked factor when we think of what allows life on Earth. Sure you've got the atmosphere, ozone layer etc, but you aint got diddly squat without an active magnetic field(just look at mars!:P )

... ok fair enough(i'm not gonna say diddly squat again:embarass: ), but Mars does have a very thin atmosphere of mostly carbon dioxide, and it is theorized that if it did lose most of its water because it lost the shielding its magnetic field provided. As for venus, are u sure it doen't have a magnetic field? It has volcanic activity, so surely you can't have one without the other:confused: ?

Anyway I don't think we nor the atmosphere(at least most of it) would survive very long if the magnetic field wasn't present.

mars has a thin atmosphere not because of a lack of a magnetic field but because of a lack of a strong gravitaional field.

why would we lose our atmosphere without a magnetic field anyway? the solar wind isn't exactly dense enough to do it in fact its more likely that we would absorb he solar wind and the atmosphere would in effect get thicker. its only around 30 particles per cubic meter. its still a better vacuum than we can produce in a lab. i really don't see it blowing away the atmosphere of a planet.

also the atmosphere is non magnetic so it can't be held down by the magnetic field. i can't think of an way for it to be lost due to lack of a magnetic field.

... ok fair enough(i'm not gonna say diddly squat again:embarass: ), but Mars does have a very thin atmosphere of mostly carbon dioxide, and it is theorized that if it did lose most of its water because it lost the shielding its magnetic field provided. As for venus, are u sure it doen't have a magnetic field? It has volcanic activity, so surely you can't have one without the other:confused: ?

http://www.astronomynotes.com/solarsys/s7.htm

Answer to that question, check about halfway down the page.

venus doesn't have a magnetic field and if you say that doesn' have an atmosphere i'll hit you.

You're right venus doesnt have a magnetic field, I just googled and I found this information from this bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A396939.

"Venus has no magnetic field, and its atmosphere is being gradually leached off by the Solar Wind. It is thought that if Venus had a magnetic field, like the Earth does, this wouldn't happen. Venus's atmosphere is thick enough to prevent most meteors making it to the surface."

It isn't gonna have it's atmosphere forever though, due to its lack of a magnetic field to maintain it. I guess we're both half right(please don't hit me:-p lol!)

The reason I brought this up was because I remeber seeing this program with scientists talking about the Earth's magnetic field fading, and how this could threaten the existence of life on Earth. Anyway I found some more info on the subject. Anyway I got some more info about this from an astrophysics group which I've placed a link to below.

http://groups.msn.com/AstrophysicsGroupWest/solaralertanewmajorconcern.msnw

Also I think the "normal" amount of radiation the sun emits is of no particularly danger. It is just when solar flares are emitted and fluctuations occur that there is a greater degree of danger.

Anyway I realise the error I made, the magnetic field isn't anywhere near as critical for maintaining the atmosphere as it is for maintaining life.

If it's potential dangerous when the Earth goes through a magnetic reversal how bad could it be if the field stopped?

The earth has undergone many reversals before, and life is still around. The dipole may go away for a while, but you get higher-order multipoles. The field doesn't just disappear, though the strength does vary.

If planets die and loose their water and life, become a barren planet. Were does the water go?? does it beak down into its atom state or what??

A planet would have to experience extreme circumstances in order for water to leave a planet large enough to support it in liquid form. The most feasible is an EXTREME impact with another body. But the collision of the impact would have to be strong enough for the water to overcome the force of gravity of both bodies and escape the atmosphere and enter interplanetary space. For that to happen to all water, we're talking about a collision that would likely destroy any planet, definitely Earth, in the first place. So that event is highly unlikely, though I'm sure it has happened, in the universe, several times. The odds are big though.

Secondly, in space, water will either exist as a gas or as ice, the solid form of water. Space is a vacuum, it has no pressure. When you lower pressure, you raise the likelyhood of something being a gas. With water in space, that's very likely until the gas gets far enough away from a star to be cold, where then it becomes ice. Although I don't know of any studies on it, I'm fairly certain it will not go through a liquid form in this transition. Special conditions must exist to support liquid water, substantial pressure and gravity.

I hope that answers your question.

hey silk, at this distance from big ol' sol the water would turn into a gas or if it some formed as a solid it would sublime. this would happen especially if there is an impact large enough to eject all the water on earth since there would be some stupendously high energies.

Agreed insane. But I'd like to know what you think about this.

Say you have water in interstellar space. And assume with me it has had enough energy to remain as a gas until this very moment. Once these water particles bump into each other they'll stick, will there be a liquid phase at all or will it be immediately to solid?

I can't imagine a liquid phase in that scenario, no matter how short.

One way to lose the water is for it to go down into the planet. As we increase the temperature and pressure of water we reach its critical point. At the critical point, water can do nasty things to minerial. One possible scenario, is if the core of the earth cooled enough, the water will dissolve downward to corrode the iron core, gradually depleting the surface water. Maybe this is what happened to Mars?

One way to lose the water is for it to go down into the planet. As we increase the temperature and pressure of water we reach its critical point. At the critical point, water can do nasty things to minerial. One possible scenario, is if the core of the earth cooled enough, the water will dissolve downward to corrode the iron core, gradually depleting the surface water. Maybe this is what happened to Mars?

I don't see that happening whether the earth is geologically active or not. While it is the water would not reach the core or get anywhere near it because of the immense heat. It would reach a point, vaporize and travel back up. If the earth were geologically dead I doubt the density of the material near the center would be penetrable by water.

Agreed insane. But I'd like to know what you think about this.

Say you have water in interstellar space. And assume with me it has had enough energy to remain as a gas until this very moment. Once these water particles bump into each other they'll stick' date=' will there be a liquid phase at all or will it be immediately to solid?

I can't imagine a liquid phase in that scenario, no matter how short.[/quote']

yeah it would go straight to solid. at 0 atm there is no liquid phase for water. a suitible analogy is carbon dioxide at its sublimation point. it goes from solid to gas and from gas to solid with no intermediate.

Also i believe i was wrong about water existing in a gaseous state. tycho said in another post about the molecule being ionized by solar radiation. i overlooked this because i wasn't thinking aboutthe higher energy radiation coming from the sun like x-rays. i guess this is what you get for living on a planet where the high energy stuff is filtered out by an atmosphere.

Also i believe i was wrong about water existing in a gaseous state. tycho said in another post about the molecule being ionized by solar radiation. i overlooked this because i wasn't thinking aboutthe higher energy radiation coming from the sun like x-rays. i guess this is what you get for living on a planet where the high energy stuff is filtered out by an atmosphere.

But that's still dependent on proximity right? Aren't some comets known to be water ice?

yes it is dependant on proximity. this close to the sun there are a goodish number of xrays and other ionizing radiations pouring off the sun. this close a large number of water molecultes will be ionized but further away the effect would be less. as for the comets the ice is somewhat shielded by itself and the vapour cloud around it.