Hot off the press!

YT2095

a new World Record has been broken that I thought some of you may be interested in (it`s certainly a topic dear to my heart).

as a Chili grower myself, I`ve always regarded the Habenero chili to be the king of Fire Power (closely followed by the Tiawan "Tiny Terrors")

non of which now comes even Close to the Dorset Naga Chili! :eek:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2113507,00.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dorset/content/articles/2006/04/03/chilli_feature.shtml

Chilies make me salivate just at the thought of them, but that sounds a little too much. To put things in perspective the mean scoville heat unit on the Dorset chilli is 923,000 SHU.

Habenero ranges from 100,000 - 300,000 SHU

Scotch Bonnet 100,000 - 250,000

Thai Birdseye 50,000 - 100,000

Cayenne 30,000 - 50,000

and the humble Jalepeno just 2,500 - 5000

Want manner of beast could eat such a thing.

something like that, you`de have to rub onto a food, a bit like you do with garlic on bruschetta.

or perhaps add it to a sauce made with Milder but more fragrant chilis for that little bit Extra hit. I make my own chili sauce and roughly use a kilo of chilis per litre, one or 2 of these babies added would simply rock!

as for the Jalepeno sorts they go up to 8000 SHU officialy (if mem serves) and I`ve bred a variety that goes a little hotter than that :)

I`ve simply GOT TO get my hands on one of these puppies for my collection!

something like that' date=' you`de have to rub onto a food, a bit like you do with garlic on bruschetta.

or perhaps add it to a sauce made with Milder but more fragrant chilis for that little bit Extra hit. I make my own chili sauce and roughly use a kilo of chilis per litre, one or 2 of these babies added would simply rock!

as for the Jalepeno sorts they go up to 8000 SHU officialy (if mem serves) and I`ve bred a variety that goes a little hotter than that :)

I`ve simply GOT TO get my hands on one of these puppies for my collection![/quote']

I would love to try that! sounds hot, but deliciously so.

I can't even imagine a pepper so hot they recommend that you cut it up outside on a windy day to avoid stinging your eyes too badly. I have some friends who can be pretty obnoxious when it comes to bragging about how hot they like their curries and chili. Might be kind of fun to see them gasping and whimpering after a dose of Dorset Naga (evil :D).

well I must admit, there`s scarcely a Day go buy when I don`t consume at least a Little chili in some form or another, trippley so in the summer, and we rarely to never go down with anything when all around us are dropping like flies with this-that-and-the-other.

probably not at all related to our chili consumption, but you never know!

anyway, I`ll do my Best to get hold of one this season if at all possible and let you know, currently I have several chili based projects on the go in way of breeding, the Jallapenos will be in their 4`th generation now (I work along the lines of cross pollination and eco-types with my program).

although with moving house and all the rest that`s going on, I`m a little later getting started this year, but I crop well into December anyway, so all should be good :)

We had friends over for a chili cookoff, and one guy made his on my stove: two habaneros, a few jalapenos, pasillas, reds and yellows, and yes, beans. I don't recall if he used gloves, but repeating this later I sure wished I had! The backs of my fingers stung for an hour. Anyway, he slow-cooked these for a half-day and we actually ate them the next. All I can say is that it was deeply warm without burning, and gave an amazing nuclear critical mass feeling in my stomach. None of this, nor the fallout the next day, was anything but pleasant. NUCLEAR BEANS and eat rice and tortillas also. . . . . . WISDOM OF THE PEOPLE: tumeric, part of most curry mixes, killed most prostate cancer cells when shaken in a test tube. Someone noticed that salsa kills a meat Salmonella, and traced it to cilantro leaves containing dodecanol. Whoa, if the gringos do not eat salsa in Mexico, they get EL REVENGE DE MONTEZUMA.

sounds great! :)

I`m wondering now if it`s possible to Adopt someone that already Has parents: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2012111.stm

he`de make a great older brother for my Daughter and will most likely be Cheif Chili tester for my projects :)

also, I`ve Nearly bought 30 Naga Jolokia seeds for £5-50 just have to wait an hour now for the bidding on eBay to end :)

Chilis seem to be one of the most universal crops, as every region has proudly their own. Every different valley in Hungary has its own paprika, etc. How cool that you partake in this culture a la WWW. One day I walked into me beloved Mexican Restaurante in midafternoon. Emilio sat with a friend over plates, but his forehead was swollen, his eyes bugged and weeping, and it generally looked like some kind of crisis. I said, "Necessitamos una ambulancia???" He gasped, "Oh, no, it's......good" and then I saw the stems of a large habanero on each of their plates. I AM IMPRESSED.

Yt, out of interest, is it easy enough to grow chillis outdoors in the UK, or do you need a greenhouse?

you Can grow them outside, best against a south facing wall, although they have a much shorter growing season and as a result crop alot less and are often stunted, but you Will get some :)

I do all mine in a greenhouse, but when I first started growing them (about 15 years ago), I grew them indoors on every available windosill I could find, that works too.

btw, I won the eBay bid, and now have 30 Naga Jolokia seeds heading my direction :)

you Can grow them outside' date=' best against a south facing wall, although they have a much shorter growing season and as a result crop alot less and are often stunted, but you Will get some :)

I do all mine in a greenhouse, but when I first started growing them (about 15 years ago), I grew them indoors on every available windosill I could find, that works too.

btw, I won the eBay bid, and now have 30 Naga Jolokia seeds heading my direction :)[/quote']

Aha thanks, i might also buy some seeds to help with the ever growing boredem of study leave argh.

Aha thanks, i might also buy some seeds to help with the ever growing boredem of study leave argh.

well you`re cutting it a little bit close in all honesty, as planting seeds in May for chilis doesn`t let then go to full size/maturity (but you WILL get Some!).

Mine arrived this morning (the ones from eBay) so those will go in tomorrow morning, again, it`s a little late but not all that much.

as a side note and pleasant surprise the guy also put in 10 seeds of White Habenero (not tried those yet), so now my greenhouse is looking a little bit TOO Small!

non the less, this is gunna ROCK! :)

Chili peppers are remarkably easy to grow, hence why they are a part of virtually every culture out there. A few years back I picked up a small number of habanero pepper seeds and planted them in my backyard. (I live in Southern New England where the weather fluctuates like you wouldn't believe). In a few short months, I had over three pounds of habanero peppers. Far more than I could ever possibly use. I wound up dehydrating them and making a VERY potent pepper powder with 'em.

As for these new peppers, I probably wouldn't notice a difference in the heat intensity. For me, once you get to a certain level of heat it all seems the same. I kind of wish I could figure out how to breed a less-hot variety of habanero. I absolutely LOVE the taste of that pepper, but sometimes the heat can really make it difficult to cook/use them.

• 2 months later...

what determines how fast the pain comes? the chemical stimulates the heat nerves directly but why are some slower than others? could it be the temperature it's served at?

i heard of someone who had a hobby of concentrating chillis, he eventually came out with a sauce so hot, the unfortunate (willing) victim had half his face paralysed. (might be just another urban myth)

edit: i found it!

http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/daves_insanity_hot_sauce.html

well Daves hot sauce at that SHU rating I would eat for breakfast on my cornflakes and not even burp!

Try 6Am reserve here : http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/7-4-2006-101298.asp

actualy you can make an Ever hotter one if you have the Chilis (such as the Naga), you`ll need 200proof alc (everclear will do) and blenderise as many hot chilis into as you can, filter this and evaporate a goo 90% of the alc, the oil that floats on the top will be near Pure Capsciacin!

and yes, perfectly capable of Killing YOU! so I advise Never to try making this stuff (unless you`re a chemist or Crazy).

as for the heat there are capsciacinoids also, they have differing effects upon the tongue, if I rem correctly, the mechanism is something to do with Calcium ions/pumps in the receptors.

I enjoy a flavorful chili, and I love the creeping burn you get with some of the best curries, but when a chili gets too hot it seems to overpower everything else you eat with it. If it goes straight up my nose like a spike (ala Chinese mustard) I can't taste anything else for a while.

Is there some kind of resistance your taste buds build up to be able to handle the hotter chilis?

yes there is, give any child a dab of simple tobasco and they will let you know it`s Hot (except for the Kid I posted about further up that I want to Adopt).

I used to think Tobasco was too hot also, now I could drink a bottle of it (and have done) without an issue.

the Calcium Ions in the tongue receptors get overloaded and effectively Burn-Out.

Uping your tollereance to later doses.

however unlike virginity, it Does grow back again after a month or so and you`re back to square one.

a Regular Chili hit will maintain the level though, and you`ll require stronger and stronger amounts for the same original Hit.

eventualy you find your Natural-Level so to speak.

10,000 SHU is about my natural level now, I could UP that, but I`m happy as I am.

you`de probably like Chipotle chilis, they`re fantastic! as I said before in another thread, Any Idiot can make something insanely Hot, but doing that and having it actualy TASTE GOOD at the same time is the Real art to a good chili sauce :)