Interesting Firefox Feature

herme3

Has anybody noticed that you usually don't need to type the URL when you are using Firefox? For example, you can just type "science forums" in the address bar, and it will take you to the Science Forums web site. It doesn't work for all web sites, but it will work for most of the ones that I tried.

This feature also works in Internet Explorer, but you will need to name each site in your favorites first. For example, you could save the Science Forums web site in your favorites, and save it as "science". After that, you will just need to type "science" in the Internet Explorer address bar, and it will take you to the Science Forums web site.

It uses the I'm Feeling Lucky result of a Google search and sends you there.

SFN' date=' being first for a search for "science forums," works perfectly.[/quote']

Ohhhh. That makes sense. I was wondering why some didn't work.

It uses the I'm Feeling Lucky result of a Google search and sends you there.

SFN' date=' being first for a search for "science forums," works perfectly.[/quote']

Yup, on a note if you want to change it here's how:

In the address bar type about:config.

In the textbox type: browser.search.defaulturl double click and set the default search URL there :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

you can also put in searches into the address bar some examples:

dict <keyword> searches dictionary.com

wp <keyword> searches wikipedia

google <keyword> searches google.

It is also quite simple to se up your own and I used to have php <keyword> that allowed me to search the php function list. You can download lots of them too from firefox...

Has anybody noticed that you usually don't need to type the URL when you are using Firefox? For example' date=' you can just type "science forums" in the address bar, and it will take you to the Science Forums web site. It doesn't work for all web sites, but it will work for most of the ones that I tried.

This feature also works in Internet Explorer, but you will need to name each site in your favorites first. For example, you could save the Science Forums web site in your favorites, and save it as "science". After that, you will just need to type "science" in the Internet Explorer address bar, and it will take you to the Science Forums web site.[/quote']

Hang on, herme3's been using firefox :eek:

firefox has an analogouse feature to the IE feature you describe (i believe its bookmark page > right-click on the bookmark entry > properties > enter keyword), but i was under the impression that IE also had an analogouse search-from-address bar function; ie, entering 'scienceforums' into IE's address bar should bring up a science forum, based on what is the first result using whichever search engine you have set as your default url-hook.

so, as long as HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks is set to the CLSID of the IE google toolbar, i believe typing 'scienceforums' into IE should have the same result as typing it into FF.

Hang on, herme3's been using firefox :eek:

Yes, I think Firefox has gotten a lot better recently. When I first started using it, I was having tons of problems with many of the web sites I use. However, now Firefox seems to be much more compatible.

Yes, I think Firefox has gotten a lot better recently. When I first started using it, I was having tons of problems with many of the web sites I use. However, now Firefox seems to be much more compatible.

Firefox standards havn't changed that much since 1 was released, it just shows more websites are becomming standards complient... And not just IE complient...

• 2 weeks later...