Oldest living species of frog found in India

blike

frog_india_biju.jpg
Biologists in india have found what is claimed to be a 130 million old species of frog.

"The seven-centimeter long amphibian hopped around the feet of dinosaurs. Researchers say the small-headed critter belongs to a new family of frogs thought to have disappeared millions of years ago.

Scientists estimated the frog family tree split about 230 million years ago. The discovery suggests this frog branched off 130 million years ago when Gondwana lost its eastern end. "

The species is described in this week's Nature.

Read the full news article here.

Wow that is cool. So why did they just barely discover it? Is it extremely rare or did the Indian people hide them from scientists or what? My point is how many other species are there, that aren't really hidden, but just never anyone wondered to go study them. Could i discover a new bug species in my backyard? Last summer i found this tiny gray bug with orange spots (in the flower bed i was weeding fo my mamma) and i caught it because i'd never seen it before, but when i decided to set it free, i saw that there were actually a significant amount of them crawling all around.

Wow that is cool. So why did they just barely discover it? Is it extremely rare or did the Indian people hide them from scientists or what? My point is how many other species are there, that aren't really hidden, but just never anyone wondered to go study them. Could i discover a new bug species in my backyard?

At my last uni (I moved this year) there was a post doc who had just found her 500th species. Pretty amazing as she only studied some type of marine worm. We've only classified a small percentage of the species, but many of the remaining are in remote areas.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
[ta=right]frog_india_biju.jpg[/ta']Biologists in india have found what is claimed to be a 130 million old species of frog.

Hey Blike, I'll call you, and raise you 170 million.

cockroachold.jpg

Geologists excavating an old mine in eastern Ohio have found a 300-million-year old cockroach that measures nearly 3.5 inches long, making it the largest and oldest living cockroach.

http://www.crystalinks.com/cockroaches.html

Ummm, Dougy-baby, that's not the olldest living cockroach, mostly cuz' it ain't livin' no more. It is the largest cockroach ever, just not anymore. Also, the site you linked us to says it was one of the oldest ever discovered, not the oldest ever uncovered. :-(

Dead, fossilized, kaput.

Ummm' date=' Dougy-baby, that's not the olldest living cockroach, mostly cuz' it ain't livin' no more. It is the largest cockroach ever, just not anymore. Also, the site you linked us to says it was one of the oldest [i']ever[/i] discovered, not the oldest ever uncovered. :-(

Dead, fossilized, kaput.

I'm chuckling AzurePhoenix, you've got a good sense of humor.