Feeding tube to be removed from coma..

blike

This is all over the news here in Tampa.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,100117,00.html

Apparently some woman has been in a coma since 1990. The woman's husband wants to pull the feeding tube, because she expressed wishes not to be kept alive artificially. The woman's parents, however, are calling it 'murder' because they think she shows signs of possible communication, etc.

The doctors testifying in the case say that her facial twitching and expressions, and occasional moans are reflexes, not indications she is trying to communicate.

Thats a tough place to be in, especially the doctors and the people involved who are giving their medical opinion.

What do you guys think should be done?

Thirteen years is a long time. How long do you think there should be to evaluate the coma?

My girlfriends boss died late last year, went into a coma after being diagnosed with meningitis. It was only about a month after she was hospitalised that he had the feeding tube removed...seemed a little hasty.

Skye, I can olny guess that each circumstance is evaluated on it`s own merits (or not as the case may be).

Coma in itself isn`t the killer, she may have had alot more wrong with her, complications etc...

non the less, it`s still very tempting to "second guess" an action like that, I pray I`m never faced with it (or any of us for that matter).

I don't know much about "coma". But I always thought that u couldn't talk or understand anything and only ur subconcious mind is active. If so, how could she express what she wants? It's about a person's life - u don't just say pull the plug. But, then again, I am not in their shoes, nor am I in the patient's, so no matter how logically I think, I don't think we can ever give the right decision.

Though I think it's really a mental and physical stress upon her, her husband and her family. Like YT man said - " it`s still very tempting to "second guess" an action like that, I pray I`m never faced with it (or any of us for that matter). "

Besides I read the news at bike's link. It's always disgusting to see family matters dragged infront of the public.

YT2095 said in post #6 :

Coma in itself isn`t the killer, she may have had alot more wrong with her, complications etc...

Coma is the killer. Life is only maintained through artificial intervention. The basic rule is; if you can't drink or feed yourself (or breathe unaided), you die. Unless you are fed and watered by others. By any definition, an inability to perform basic life maintaining functions is a killer, unless these functions are performed for you.

I don't know. I will never understand u people. I mean does she feel any pain? If not - why bother? I mean did her parents gave birth to her so that oneday they can just pull the plug out of her? U guys are always talking in favour of cloning, talking about fission and fusion, then where's the problem to keep her alive by a machine?

So what should we do now - do we just start killing the people who are mentally retarded - just because they act and look like vegetables. Stephen Hawking shouldn't live either. Why bother, a cancer patient will most likely die anyway - why spend so much money behind radio therapy.

You may think, I am just being melodramatic and just a teenager who just had to post something. That's not the case. I have seen my uncle suffer and die from cancer. It was then when I decided that if someday I get that Royal Disease, I will not get any treatment. But do u actually think my parents r just gonna sit back and ok let's just havefun just because I said so?

Who knows, maybe oneday she will just wake up from coma.

If I'm ever in a coma for more than 6 months, I want to be cryogenically frozen until such a time where I can be unfrozen and brought out of the coma. Even better, just leave me frozen for a few million years... and wake me up when we can travel among galaxies like cities and I can be made not to age and die, so that I can be there when we transcend this universe.

neo_maya said in post #11 :

I don't know. I will never understand u people. I mean does she feel any pain? If not - why bother? I mean did her parents gave birth to her so that oneday they can just pull the plug out of her? U guys are always talking in favour of cloning, talking about fission and fusion, then where's the problem to keep her alive by a machine?

There's little or no neural activity, so I'm going for 'no', she won't feel any pain. In fact, she won't feel anything at all, like she hasn't for the last 13 years, and wouldn't for the forseeable future.

Stephen Hawking shouldn't live either.

RIGHT ON

Who knows, maybe oneday she will just wake up from coma.

The doctors have said that it's medically unlikely, at the very least.

I still do not understand - if she is not feeling anything, then where is the problem to keep her alive? I mean is it the money?

I know it's really hard to see ur close one in a vegetative state but that doesn't mean u have to murder her to see her out of misery.

So, basically it all comes down to this - " U r all in favor of euthanasia. " I think its the most ugliest and nastiest thing that human can come up with. If u people really think that people should be left in the hands of time - then where is the point of all these medical studies and where is the point of having this forum?

We r all gonna die oneday - right? So, let's do this - let's make huge space shuttles and we all start travelling towards the sun - at least it would be worth dying for.