James Randi exposes psychics. Video :)

Sashatheman

I watched the whole thing and it was great! :)

But that was a dirty trick on the tonight show. What I saw was a magician who was being asked to reveal his secrets. He had a clever cover, but a magician was all he was. So I thought it was a bit unfair what Carson did to him. However, I never heard of Uri Geller.

The Peter Popoff ministries reminded me of the movie "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin. He acted just like that character. People who take money like that should be ashamed of themselves. They prey on people looking for help.

Bettina

Has any one told them that one of the 10 commandments is "Thou shalt not take the name og God in vain"? It seems like that Popoff was doing just that (although he probably though that he wasn't).

The big question is: Why do people want to believe in these things? Why do people need these beliefes and when you can show that they are are being faked, they will just change their beliefs to something else?

The big question is: Why do people want to believe in these things? Why do people need these beliefes and when you can show that they are are being faked, they will just change their beliefs to something else?

Because some people have a need to believe in something. They would follow god or jesus if he was here, but he's not so they turn to the next person with the right charisma. They believe Popoff, or people like him, are gifted people who may help them.

Some people, for example, are sick and are looking for a cure that doctors can't give them and when word gets around that this person has the "gift" and can cure them, they come running. I don't blame them because I don't feel what they feel.

When I sing in church, I know for a fact that some people come just to see and hear me and I know that if I put on a show, I would be like Popoff. The difference between me an him is character. I could never do that.

Its sad really.

Bettina

Thank you so much for that link. I wasn't aware of the guy, but now I'm a fan (even though he looks like an Attenborough).

Here's a page with links to other multimedia stuff of his on the web. http://www.reitstoen.com/randi.php

I'm watching a 2 hour lecture he gave to Princeton right now. He's an excellent speaker, very intelligent and entertaining.

Thanks again.

But that was a dirty trick on the tonight show. What I saw was a magician who was being asked to reveal his secrets. He had a clever cover, but a magician was all he was. So I thought it was a bit unfair what Carson did to him. However, I never heard of Uri Geller.

Uri Geller didn't plug himself as a mere magician. He claimed to have genuine supernatural powers.