Time Is of the Essence!!!! Technology Is Evolving!!!

Sostyles

Among other things, one would need to confirm that the "huge ecosphere" would actually sustain the people. Biosphere II failed miserably at this.

Not sure if anyone else replied to this, just glancing through, but I believe the only reason that the Biosphere failed was that the iron in the soil absorbed the oxygen in the air slowly and after a certain amount of days the amount of oxygen was dangerously depleted. I'd have to check my sources on that, though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone else replied to this, just glancing through, but I believe the only reason that the Biosphere failed was that the iron in the soil absorbed the oxygen in the air slowly and after a certain amount of days the amount of oxygen was dangerously depleted. I'd have to check my sources on that, though.

I'd count that as a failure. :) I think there was also a terrible algae problem, too. If they ever got it to work in a self-sustaining mode, though, please post a link. When they first proposed it, many moons ago, I thought it was a neat idea.

Iirc air had to be imported into the system, and so did food.

However, the lessons learned from such an experience are the most valuable part of the exercise. The mistakes of Biosphere II will allow more stable models to be built.

hello

main problem would not so much be in constructing the ship, but in getting the materials needed for such a huge undertaking in to space in the first place.

we don't yet have technology for that kind of heavy lifting, and i for one would not like a 500 ton chunk of metal to come hurtling back into the earth's atmosphere if we failed to get it into a proper orbit.

could see such problems being overcome to some degree if we could perhaps build mining and manufacturing facilities on the lunar surface. less gravity, more we can lift.

still that would leave problems of air-water-waste recycling.

mr d

Ok ive seen alot of debates of ppl who either oppose this idea or are picking faults rather than trying to evolve the idea. Ok the idea might not be perfect and it may have faults at the moment but that is why i posted it!! im pretty sure that if one day we did have to come up with a way to escape this planet and its to late to do anything about it, the people who could of made this idea a reality instead of doubting it, Maybe just maybe one day it could of saved some of the human race those people would feel dumbstruck!!

The water splitting machine was a very good idea has there been a prototype build yet? Thanks to those who have contributed to the thread.

"When Presented With A Challenge I Think, Not RUN!!!"

I appreciate your zeal, but you have to understand that anything that happens, has to go through a rather rigiourous phase of critical criticism, several generally, since the mechanical physical world is rather harshly unforgiving.

First, I just want to point out that should we be in dire straights with the melting of the ice caps, I would consider any attempt to just take 500 or so people and leave as the worst possible example of calous abandonment ever concieved.

That would be the same as saying...instead of helping 6 billion people not die horribly, we are going to um, spend our time researching how to just ditch them.

All that aside:

One major flaw I see, is that if we started sending out ships to the nearest star say, I am pretty certain a ship would get no more than 5% the distance, before being passed by another ship with way better engines, launched even a few decades later. By the time that ship got 10% of the way, it too would be obsolete and probably passed by yet another.

Another factor, is technology. I think there is a "sweet spot" of sorts, where we pushed technology by funding projects that need it, which in turn produces new discoveries that are worth more than the investment. Spend too little as a nation, and you move very slowly. Spend too much though, you build things badly, because money itself does not create innovation.

Spending too much would be like trying to build a giant ship during the wood-ship days that is horribly over priced and frail because its as big as an aircraft carrier made of wood. Try a little less, and you get decent sized ships, and more innovation that leads eventually to steel hulls.

I think the Apollo days are closer to that "sweet spot" than today's NASA, but I don't have any evidence to back it up. (its just a feeling).

On the zero-point stuff, there are a lot of brilliant people trying to solve the energy problems of the world, and feel free to join them, but don't expect answers to be easy.

Also, that patent doesn't look like anything that is really functional...sorry, maybe someone else can see something I can't but it can't generate more power than it would take to actually make a piece of magnetic metal, and thats assuming it both functions and has a high effeciency.

Anyway, I would love to see a far more fast space program, and I appreciate what you feel. I agree we can do a lot more than we are, if we just want to. Still, money isn't just paper, its a measure of finite human labor, and those humans need to eat and live their lives.

I would suggest trying to work in the industries that will eventually further these types of endeavors, and push for more political support for the commitment of resources.

One thing I've learned is while its still worth trying to do everything you want to try and do, the laws of physics are uncompromising and full of limits that take amazing amounts of effort to overcome. The more you work towards something of this scale the more you'll respect what we've managed to do.

Ok ive seen alot of debates of ppl who either oppose this idea or are picking faults rather than trying to evolve the idea. Ok the idea might not be perfect and it may have faults at the moment but that is why i posted it!!

Anyone would find it difficult to develop an idea without knowing where its faults lay.

im pretty sure that if one day we did have to come up with a way to escape this planet and its to late to do anything about it, the people who could of made this idea a reality instead of doubting it, Maybe just maybe one day it could of saved some of the human race those people would feel dumbstruck!!

No, they'd feel validated because their critical appraisals helped avert catastrophe and refine the idea.

The water splitting machine was a very good idea has there been a prototype build yet?

Oh you CANNOT be serious.

of course i wasnt serious :)

Ok thats a very good point about technology catching up to quick and if we did send out a ship it would probably be caught up by a newer model a few years later, but if you think about it that could be an advantage because they could run supplies back and forth quicker if needed or transport upgrades for the main mother ship.

quote:

"I would consider any attempt to just take 500 or so people and leave as the worst possible example of calous abandonment ever concieved. "

I was using that number as an example which shouldnt be taken seriously, hopefully one day if we did manage to produce this ship we could find a distant life supporting planet and transport ppl back and forth or if needed build a few of the ships to accomadate the whole planets population. (this would take a stupidly immense amount time and effort and this is not what im trying to support!)

of course i wasnt serious :)

Ok thats a very good point about technology catching up to quick and if we did send out a ship it would probably be caught up by a newer model a few years later' date=' but if you think about it that could be an advantage because they could run supplies back and forth quicker if needed or transport upgrades for the main mother ship.

quote:

"I would consider any attempt to just take 500 or so people and leave as the worst possible example of calous abandonment ever concieved. "

I was using that number as an example which shouldnt be taken seriously, hopefully one day if we did manage to produce this ship we could find a distant life supporting planet and transport ppl back and forth or if needed build a few of the ships to accomadate the whole planets population. (this would take a stupidly immense amount time and effort and this is not what im trying to support!)[/quote']

Your posts often contain information you tell us to not take seriously. You should either note this or leave it out. It can be very misleading.