Coca cola and cocaine

hw help

I heard that this guy from my class, he told me that back in the 60's or 70's people put cocaine in coca cola to get high and drink coca cola at the same time. Thats why the original name for coca cola is from cocaine, and you get cocaine from a coca plant. Or the street name "coke".

Is this true?

coca cola's recipe includes extracts or something from both the the kola nut and coca leaves, whihc is the source of cocaine. When it was first produced, the process of production left in the tiny amount of the drug-component actually found in the leaves, and coke's original purpose was as a medicinal drink rather than beverage anyway. Later on, when the drug laws took focus, Coke had two choices, remove coca from the recipe (which seems to be a core component in coke's unique goodness) or do a better job of removing the drug bits. They did the second.

Wiki probably has a lot on the issue, more details and dates and figures and such.

-----edit----- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocacola#Early_years

hmm, looks like there are still trace amounts in it

The coke found in the original recipe was one of the reason why people kept drinking it. They got addicted to it. The cocaine was eventually replaced with caffeine, a less harmful, legal, but addicting substance.

The coke found in the original recipe was one of the reason why people kept drinking it. They got addicted to it. The cocaine was eventually replaced with caffeine, a less harmful, legal, but addicting substance.

Caffiene was actually in the original recipe, from the kola nuts.

----edit-----

by the way, cocacola was made in the 1880's, but the methods for getting rid of the naturally occuring cocaine in the leaves was implemented before 1905, long before the sixties and seventies.

They actually air a Pepsi vs. Coke documentary on the History Channel, and when I saw it two years ago, I remember that it specifically stated that Coke was originally used as a medicine because of the cocaine and alcohol it contained. The two ingredients, like the prescribed morphine for pain after the civil war era, and all the other illegal drugs that were once legal and used medicinally, were put in the coke to be used as a remedy for common ailments, much like the NyQuil of today. The original taste, therefore, was much different and didn't have anything resembling the "soda" or "pop" flavor we know today. Supposedly, accordingly to the History channel, it was more of a cough syrupy type drink without the sugar and viscosity, again much like NyQuil.

By 1917 Coke had ran into prohibition and had to get rid of the alcohol, not the cocaine, which was legal at the time. So, eventually, the manufacturers tampered with the recipe so much that we arrive today at the Classic Coca-Cola, (Coca for cocaine and Cola for the plant which caffeine is derived). All it contains is water, heavy amounts of sugary syrup, dye, and caffeine.

....I'm sure wikipedia gives a rundown of all that anyway, and probably more in depth.

What like ALL alchohlic beverages, any fizzy drink, any diet drink and even water in large quantities (about 3 gals will kill)?

so in answer to what your original question was REALLY about, no you cant hallucinate drinking lots of coke :P

What like ALL alchohlic beverages' date=' any fizzy drink, any diet drink and even water in large quantities (about [b']3[/b] gals will kill)?

so in answer to what your original question was REALLY about, no you cant hallucinate drinking lots of coke :P

Possibly from a ruptured stomach