X-Rated Squid Footage

blike

_39344824_giantsquid1270.jpg
"This is the dream - we're going to get this sensational footage of the giant squid trying to do obscene things with the camera."

In an article that describes male giant squids as "randy", the BBC is reporting on Dr. Steve O'Shea's plans for catching a giant squid on film for the first time.

"The freezer bag at home - to my wife's disgust - is actually full of giant squid gonad samples. We're going to grind all of this up, and we're going to have this puree coming out from the camera, squirting into the water.

"Hopefully the male giant squid, absolutely driven into a frenzy, is going to come up and try to mate with the camera.

Steve believes that the giant squid migrate annually to an area in New Zealand to mate. Like their more common cousin the scuttle-fish, the female giant squid are believed to secrete a sexual scent that drives the males into a "frenzy"

I'm not sure which part of the article is more humorous, its graphic description of the mating process, or Steve's "dream".

"The two of them mount beak to beak, so you've got arms and tentacles flying everywhere," Dr O'Shea said.

"The male is co-ordinating this enormous penis, and he's implanting spermadaphores into the female's arms. He uses the penis like a plunger or a huge hypodermic needle, and he's physically stabbing the female's arms."

You can find the full BBC article here.

• 3 weeks later...

We're not sure whether the squid communicate/attract each other using pheromones, but it is certainly worth a try.

We are currently 'playing' with other squid (not cuttlefish) to determine whether they are attracted by some pheromone, but we also have to isolate what part of the body is releasing it (we assume, for the time being, that it is reproductive tissue that is responsible for possible pheromone production/release).

Pheromones are not our only secret weapon ... there's lots up our sleeves.

Cheers

Steve

... keep your eyes peeled; many interesting things happening right now. We're about to go out in our wee boat (that we pick up today, after 5 months negotiation) and go catch us some squid (of the non-giant variety). It's all leading up to next years expedition(s).

Kindest

Me

Well, I don't know why R_E originally said that (although it's on here somewhere), but I lost a lot of faith in Hawking's reasoning powers when he publically subscribed to the "no time travel due to lack of time travellers" notion.

Sayonara³ said in post #9 :

Well, I don't know why R_E originally said that (although it's on here somewhere), but I lost a lot of faith in Hawking's reasoning powers when he publically subscribed to the "no time travel due to lack of time travellers" notion.

bwahahahaha!

I musta missed that. So now hawking's a comedian^_^

• 2 months later...

Am I being stalked??? Nope, haven't been eaten yet, but give me time. Have squid 'going live' at an aquarium in Auckland, New Zealand, today - ~ 400 juvenile Sepioteuthis on public display. No world first there (although you'll not find live squid at many aquariums - maybe one or two others, world wide [cuttlefish don't count]), but I'm almost certain we've cracked it .... today Sepioteuthis, tomorrow Colossal Squid.

Speaking of which, will be battling a 30-foot colossal in a forthcoming Discovery doco 'Animal Face Off', Episode 12 (finale) - watch your screens for this next year (04); I might get eaten there

:)

• 3 weeks later...

LOL; seen that toilet-flushing emoticon before ... from a fellow kiwi though.

Not a bad idea, that camera trick, though it would be shredded to bits by the time it had passed through the squids oesophagus (that, incidentally, passes straight through the squids brain).

They're not the brightest of animals.

.... I'm still wondering what Paris got up to. Have I missed some scoop on E?

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post #16 :

Or you could use those pills with the tiny camera in it that takes pictures and transmits them by radio. It even has flash!

Are you pulling my chain, or does such a 'pill' really exist!?!

IF something like this really did exist, and it was small, then the possibilities are endless. I could use that immediately on a squid - it would be the most sensational footage in the world as far as I was concerned. From the mouth to the anus - a through trip through a giant squid!

Pretty pretty pretty please, please tell me that you are serious, and if you/anyone else knows anything about such a 'pill', a web link or any other information would be sensational.

Ta

Steve (..... ever so slightly off topic).

I'm really impressed. At http://www.tonmo.com you'll find, in the research & discovery forum (somewhere; it's late and I've had a vino) a post about documentaries.

I don't want to solicit members, but I must say this 'pill' idea is the best I've heard in years. You all (in my best 'Merican), following this thread, have something to offer on a documentary thread (I'm thrust in front of the camera in less than a week, talking about the colossal squid, that thing that's bigger than the so-called 'giant squid [Architeuthis], and you might have some suggestions as to what nonsense is said on film).

Anything anyone has to contribute, no matter how wild, would be appreciated.

... just me posting again (I only visit 3 sites ... and this is one of them)

Squid, cuttlefish and octopus belong to the Cephalopoda (literally "head foot"), and the suffix "-phile" means "one who loves".

Therefore Cephalophile = a very messily derived "one who loves cephalopoda".

Maybe it should be "cephalopodaphiles" :confused: