How do you read?

bascule

How do you read?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you read?

• One book at a time, start to finish, reading multiple chapters/large sections at a time
    • One book at a time, start to finish, reading parts of chapters/small sections at a time
    • Two books at a time, alternating between them
    • Three or more books, alternating between them but finishing most/all of them
    • Three or more books at a time, alternating constantly and rarely finishing
    • Who needs books when you can just watch TV?

My reading habit is similar to yours, bascule. However, there are exceptions. I am currently reading five books. Most of these books are lengthy and I need a change every few chapters. But when a really good book comes along I can finish it withing a day or two. I have been reading The Ancestors Tale for a few months now. I find that with this book I have to really take it slow to remember the correct sequence of all the pilgrims ( if you havent/arent read/ing the book , dont worry) and in what time period they appeared. Now that University is on again I will be stuck in my text books. Speaking of homework...

• 3 months later...
Guest Veritas

I agree with Helix:

"I voted for one at a time reading large sections. But that's only true when I get into the book, mostly I read a few pages and get bored. So there's a constant battle trying to find a book that will hold my attention"

I'm at the moment trying to fight my way into reading a book-it's one of those 'modern' books where a chapter could easily be a sentence or just a couple of paragraphs. Makes me sick. I think I'll start on my Aristotle again. Hmm..

Derek.

I tend to read two or three books at a time which I place at different places in the house so I read each equally. I currently have 'An Anthropologist on Mars' by Oliver Sacks on my bedside table 'Men Who Stare at Goats' by Jon Ronson to bring to work and 'Brainwashing' by Kathleen Taylor in my toilet.

I was disappointed when there was no "6 or more books at a time" selection, for that is my average. Right now in the rotation it's about 5. A variety of fiction, non-fiction, biography, and science.

I'll second that....

I read one at a time, swapping between fiction and non-fiction. I prefer fantasy and sci-fi for fiction, but it's hard to find a good one because I don't like cookie-cutter story lines and predictable, likeable characters. I prefer characters like Thomas Covenant for instance.

Non-fiction is ultimately more interesting though. I like reading on my old text books from college. It's funny, because I never really "read" them when I was taking classes, just required reading only. Now, I kick back all geeky like and read over this stuff trying to retain it since I don't use ANY of it in my job or any other aspect of my life.

I do like TV though, albeit a handful of favs - House, My Name is Earl, The Office, and Battlestar Galactica (the best TV sci-fi ever made, in my opinion).

I read anywhere from 3-4 to one at a time. Really, it depends on what I feel like reading. I normally just read a book straight through, and on days where I don't bury myself in the book it's normally at least 20-30 pages per day. So I'm the "One book at a time, start to finish, reading multiple chapters/large sections at a time" personality.

One book at a time, start to finish, reading parts of chapters/small sections at a time .My reading speed is good,so I can complete 1 book per day easily if is is abt fiction . But if it is some science related book ,then it may take 3-4 days