Indians like pale-skin

Dale Gribble

You don't seem to have a social sciences forum, so I suppose I'll post this here.

Why do you think Indians seem to prefer pale skin to dark skin? A whole industy has grown up in India around making people paler, and many top Indian models are of European ancestry. Is this a product of colonialism? The Ayran (Iranian Aryan, not Nazi Aryan) conquests? Association of dark skin with maual labour? A combination?

I have an indian pseudogirlfriend so I think I'm qualified to answer this.

I think the culture is addicted to Vitamin D and all want so badly to be the most delightful and cheerful person on the planet.

I'm aware of heavy attention paid to shade in black American culture as well. Generally, I think that because the sun exposure in America is very different than the sun exposure in Africa (where the color in their 'race' evolved) and are being deprived of more vitamin D the darker their shade, especially in the northern parts of the United States (in the south, closer to the equator it is less of a deal). White peope are fine in these northern climates because they are similar to the Europe where they evolved into their color.

It's a direct result of the Ayran conquest.

Still to this day the decendents of the Ayran invaders make up much of the elite in indian society, when the cast system was stronger it was even worse. A recent genetic analysis has confirmed this.

http://www.dalitstan.org/holocaust/invasion/histgene.html

This is especially true for women. Women with ligher skin found it much easier to upward in the cast system (even though this was still discouraged).

Why do you think Indians seem to prefer pale skin to dark skin? A whole industy has grown up in India around making people paler, and many top Indian models are of European ancestry. Is this a product of colonialism? The Ayran (Iranian Aryan, not Nazi Aryan) conquests? Association of dark skin with maual labour? A combination?

-i think its just a case of the grass is greener on the other side.

-you could also ask why do pale skin people want darker skin? Here in the USA there is also a whole industy around making pale skin people darker, its called tanning, its too has grown recently. maybe due to pop culture or UV rays emitted, how ever way u want to reason it; it still occurs...

-i think it just a product of not being secure with your self, being dark or pale...

• 2 weeks later...

Pale skin women look a lot nicer. That's all there is to it. Every culture has this facet to their culture. Chinese, Koreans, Philipinos are the same.

The most stunning looking women are probably the northern Europeans. Many Scandanavian women are just amazing in thier beauty. Russian women are very good looking too. They are largely descended from the Scandanavians.

I saw Oprah Winfrey interview a famous Indian actress on tv and Oprah seemed quite upset that pale women in India are much preferred. "Why?" she bleated... The answer was written on Oprah's face.

• 3 weeks later...

My mother is quite pale with black hair but blue eyes and my father and his family are fairly dark to very dark with brown eyes. I am on the pale side with blue eyes. I like both dark and light. I tend to find the more extreme examples of each more attractive though.

What is the ratio of Dark to light people?