Can anyone settle this for me?

atomicdande

Question: If I fell 100 feet into a large' date=' deep pool, which of the following would take LONGER to touch the bottom of the pool.

1. Plastic balls (like a kid's playroom)

2. Polystyrene balls (in beanbags)

Thanks![/quote']

This is a trick question... why would balls float if you fell into a pool?

my best guess is he means if the pool were filled with those materials... just guessing : P
If that's the case, there would be less "balls" to displace with #1 since they would be larger and leave more air between them. It would take LONGER to reach the bottom with #2.

The question is not worded very well. You may not reach the bottom at all, but you would go DEEPER into the pool if it were filled with #1 (but the question stinks like #2).

Sorry about the wording. Here it is reworded:

If I fell 100ft into a deep pool, I would hit the floor QUICKER if it was filled with:

a. Plastic balls (like a kid's playroom)

b. Polystyrene balls (in beanbags)

Sorry if I caused any confusion. It's just me and my friend had a disagreement, she thought that falling in polystyrene would get you 'down' quicker, whereas I thought the opposite :D.

The answer is A, for the same volume, smaller Polystyrene balls will be more in number and will produce greater surface area (resistance to your body than lesser (coz they are bigger) plastic balls. Better understood with If the pool was filled with sand(minute balls) then you will not sink much.