"150 Million people could die"...

A flu pandemic could happen at any time and kill between 5-150 million people, a UN health official has warned.

David Nabarro, who is charged with co-ordinating responses to bird flu, said a mutation of the virus affecting Asia could trigger new outbreaks.

"The consequences in terms of human life when the pandemic does start are going to be extraordinary and very damaging," Dr Nabarro told the BBC.

Bird flu has swept through poultry and wild birds in Asia since 2003.

It has killed huge numbers of birds and led to more than 60 human deaths.

H5N1 BIRD FLU VIRUS

Principally an avian disease, first seen in humans in Hong Kong, 1997

Almost all human cases thought to be contracted from birds

Isolated cases of human-to-human transmission in Hong Kong and Vietnam, but none confirmed

"It's like a combination of global warming and HIV/Aids 10 times faster than it's running at the moment," Dr Nabarro told the BBC.

The UN's new co-ordinator for avian and human influenza said the likelihood that the Asian virus could mutate and jump to humans was high.

Because it has moved to wild migratory birds there is a possibility "that the first outbreak could happen even in Africa or in the Middle East", he warned.

The comments came as agriculture ministers from the Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean) endorsed a three-year plan to combat the spread of the virus, and pledged $2m to fund research and training.

Dr Nabarro stressed he would be working hard to control bird flu through contact with farming communities and markets where birds are sold and looking at the migration of wild birds.

He said the number of deaths from any future influenza pandemic would depend on where it started, how quickly it was discovered and the kind of response they got from governments.

"The range of deaths could be anything between 5m and 150m," said Dr Nabarro.

"I believe that the work we're doing over the next few months will make the difference between, for example, whether the next pandemic leads us in the direction of 150 or in the direction of five. "So our effectiveness will be directly measured in lives saved and the consequences for the world."

The appointment of Dr Nabarro is an indication of how seriously the UN is taking the threat, the BBC's UN correspondent Suzannah Price says.

In his new role, he is meant to ensure that the UN has a co-ordinated response to bird flu and that it helps global efforts to prepare for any human flue pandemic, our correspondent says.

They say this crap every year about every virus. It's complete bull. They said a lot of people were going to die when we ran short of flu vaccine, mad cow disease, killer bees, west nile, etc. I'm not saying a devastating plague is never gonna happen cause it probably will, but it will probably be one we never see coming.

Soon we will all die. Or grow feathers and cluck. a lot of people are gonna die, just in countries most of you have never heard of.

David Nabarro, who is charged with co-ordinating responses to bird flu, said a mutation of the virus affecting Asia could trigger new outbreaks.

The guy from Jane's Addiction and the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Wow, he's moved up in the world!

Ha ha, yeah, all joking aside, this bird flu thing? Scary shit. But how many of those 5-150 million deaths are going to occur in third world countries where the hospital systems and quarantine methods and overall sanitary conditions aren't as good as countries like Canada, the U.S., Britain and similar countries?

Not to say those countries wouldn't be effected, but would there be death spread equally across the globe or would the majority of the deaths be in areas whose conditions are already shitty? i.e India/Pakistan/Bangladesh?

This is the birds' revenge for continually cutting down trees and destroying their habitats. "When the Birds Attack" would make a cool title for an upcoming Hollywood movie.

150 Million

Oh, great. Let me stick a finger up my arse and pull any number out.

I want to know how the **** did they come up with these numbers.

I'm sure this is all a hoax. I mean, bird flu? Seriously, I EAT BIRDS!!! Well, at least chickens, and a lot of them. Mmm, breast...

The bubonic plague and flu epidemic of 1918 didn't kill all of humanity and neither will this.

Even if it does hit humans strong the human body is built to be able to adapt to things and will eventually become immune from the flu.

I believe H.G. Wells mentioned this when the aliens got pwned in War of the Worlds.

Your thoughts....!

It's funny how they claim all these epidemics (Aids, ebola, west nile, avian flu, etc..) all originate in Africa and/or Asia, yet Europeans have been the greatest purveyors of diseases and plagues that history has ever known.

People will call you crazy for suggesting that Aids was man-made, but they'll readily accept that it came about from africans eating "green monkeys" without further investigation. Riiiggghhttt.

*cough* Illuminati *cough*

I agree with you about the made up statistics. Too often people say "according to experts" to mean their grandmothers.

However, the avian flu does scare dueto what you said... it going to affect third world countries the most... who are least able to "defend" themselves against it.

I agree with you about the made up statistics. Too often people say "according to experts" to mean their grandmothers.

However' date=' the avian flu does scare dueto what you said... it going to affect third world countries the most... who are least able to "defend" themselves against it.[/quote']

In other words we shouldn't worry about, it. Perhaps them 3rd world countries wouldn't suffer that much, if all the doctors and nurses didn't run off to the west just for better pay which is sad. If anything we should blame, the doctors and nurses.

For once I agree with you. It seems like each year, there has to be a new "epidemic" made up by the media. With bird flu this year, vaccination shortage last year, mad cow 2 years ago and SARS the year before that.

It is complete bull. I think even the year before SARS we had West Nile. Every year, it turns out to be nothing but media hype. Sadly, I doubt the majority of people will ever catch on.

In other words we shouldn't worry about, it. Perhaps them 3rd world countries wouldn't suffer that much, if all the doctors and nurses didn't run off to the west just for better pay which is sad. If anything we should blame, the doctors and nurses.

well, you can't really blame them for wanting more money. After all, a skilled doctor in the united states can live very well... why shouldn't someone from the thrid world want that.

well, you can't really blame them for wanting more money. After all, a skilled doctor in the united states can live very well... why shouldn't someone from the thrid world want that.

If I was a dictator I wouldn't allow my experienced citizens to leave the country.

wow, i don't know what to say and still be nice about it.

Perhaps while you're busy not worrying about, it, you might try to scare up just a bit of compassion for them third worlders. Not much, mind you, but something beyond the sub-atomic level you've shown would be nice. Are you one of these people who think sick people should just get help and starving people should simply move where there's food?

I apologize for the ad hom there in case you didn't realize how insensitive you were being.

Now please tell me, what in the purple fuzzy almighty **** are you blaming third world doctors for?! Poor countries have very little infrastucture for setting up proper healthcare on their own. Often the foreign aid they receive comes with stringent riders attached that doesn't allow them to spend funds where it's most needed. Vaccines are expensive and those that are in short supply go to the countries who can afford it, NOT to the ones whose doctors have chosen to stay where they were born.

wow, i don't know what to say and still be nice about it.
Being nice isn't necessary. Avoiding words like stupid pathetic ignorant moron crap-weasel asshole IS necessary if you want to avoid warnings.

1) Media sensationalizes stories, because if stories were boring no one would read them. However as long as Humans are in existance there is the possibility that there can be a massive outbreak of disease killing a large # of us. Personally I think 150 million is a very small number of people to die from a 'deadly' infectious agent. Some pathogens (like small pox) easily kill 20+% of the people they infect. Assuming the worlds population is still at 6 billion (probably an underestimate) and assuming 25% of the worlds population gets exposed to this pathogen (also probably an underestimate) thats 450 million people who will probably die.

2) Ali you are a very shallow person.

Perhaps while you're busy not worrying about' date=' it, you might try to scare up just a bit of compassion for them third worlders. Not much, mind you, but something beyond the sub-atomic level you've shown would be nice. Are you one of these people who think sick people should just get help and starving people should simply move where there's food?

I apologize for the [i']ad hom[/i] there in case you didn't realize how insensitive you were being.

Now please tell me, what in the purple fuzzy almighty **** are you blaming third world doctors for?! Poor countries have very little infrastucture for setting up proper healthcare on their own. Often the foreign aid they receive comes with stringent riders attached that doesn't allow them to spend funds where it's most needed. Vaccines are expensive and those that are in short supply go to the countries who can afford it, NOT to the ones whose doctors have chosen to stay where they were born.

Being nice isn't necessary. Avoiding words like stupid pathetic ignorant moron crap-weasel asshole IS necessary if you want to avoid warnings.

I see sarcasm is a lost concept on you.

Ha ha' date=' yeah, all joking aside, this bird flu thing? Scary shit. But how many of those 5-150 million deaths are going to occur in third world countries where the hospital systems and quarantine methods and overall sanitary conditions aren't as good as countries like Canada, the U.S., Britain and similar countries?

Not to say those countries wouldn't be effected, but would there be death spread equally across the globe or would the majority of the deaths be in areas whose conditions are already shitty? i.e India/Pakistan/Bangladesh?[/quote']

If I was a dictator I wouldn't allow my experienced citizens to leave the country.
I see sarcasm[/i'] is a lost concept on you.
Just so we don't have to post pictures of your sarcasm on milk cartons, perhaps you should occasionally post something serious.

bird flu is not serious problem for us human beings till it remains confined to birds but this virus has jumped before it is only 0.18% different from that of 1918. The problem is our body does not know how to fight it, the concern is because even the normal flu kills hundred thousands all over the world and this is more deadly form, this link describes in a movie format info about flu virus

• 4 months later...

i do not belive a deisese is killing off the human race any time soon....... but mabey the dieseses are trying tokill us off so we dont over populate and since we have all but lost our naural selection survival of th fittest thing i think it is trying to make up for it by sicknesses..... just my idea though

• 2 weeks later...
bird flu is not serious problem for us human beings till it remains confined to birds but this virus has jumped before it is only 0.18% different from that of 1918. The problem is our body does not know how to fight it, the concern is because even the normal flu kills hundred thousands all over the world and this is more deadly form, this link describes in a movie format info about flu virus

From what I've read one of the major concerns comes from the bird flu entering an intermediate species such as pigs and encountering a human flu virus spread to the same pig. If the viruses were to intermingle in the pigs cells they might mutate or hybridize and create a new human virus that our systems don't know how to fight,