homemade paintball gun

flyboy

the stock`s the least of your problems, delivering the CO2 fast enough and in the correct amount will be though, I can imagine the auto loader wouldn`t be all that easy either. I recon you`de still get your a$$ kicked when put up against an even modest factory made gun.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's also illegal to have a paintball gun that looks like a real gun.

Nope. They do it all the time. Paintball guns are actually used by law enforcement and various militaries as a means of simulating real-life, live-ammo situations, and the guns used by them are available commercially as well.

well if you want a sniper type of weapon, the stock isn`t going to help you much either. since these balls are liquid filled a Riffled barrel won`t serve any purpose because you`ll not maintain any spin (the projectile would have to be solid for that), so that leaves your barrel length and muzzel velocity, increasing both of these would give you alot more accuracy over a distance, but may too overpowered for close range and cause serious injury!

Nope. They do it all the time. Paintball guns are actually used by law enforcement and various militaries as a means of simulating real-life, live-ammo situations, and the guns used by them are available commercially as well.

Don't they just use real guns with paint bullets instead of lead?

NeonBlack - nope. If that were the case, the paint "bullets" would be destroyed as soon as they were fired, because the thin layer holding the paint is not anywhere near strong enough to withstand explosions, which is how all conventional firearms work. The closest thing to explosives launching paintballs from any paintball gun is the new Tippmann C3 (PEP), which detonates small amounts of propane. I know for a fact that at least some American law enforcement and/or military trains with paintball guns (given, most are designed specifically for law enforcement, although most are also available to civillians). Dealing with absolutes is never a safe bet, and I will not say that all military and law enforcement agencies train with them, but at least some do.

I suppose there is a remote possibility that what you said is correct, but that would require the engineering of a special paint "bullet" that could both withstand the incredible force of firing and that would make effective use of rifling (rifling barrels with normal paintballs is actually counterproductive, the sloshing of the liquid paint inside makes the ball exremely inaccurate when given any spin other than a backspin).

Cheers!

Flyboy, back to your original question, it depends on how you want to make it, and what you want to use it for. Tourney-certified guns are extremely hard to make (or, more accurately, it's extremely hard to get tourney certification), and many paintball fields will not allow you to use anything but tourney-certified guns on their field(s). Alternatively, for "fun with buddies at people's houses," so to speak, you could go any number of routes, including supplying power via air tank filled by a bike tire pump. Or, you could use conventional CO2, and create the firing mechanism, etc, but this is a much, much more involved process. And if you're actually shooting these on people's property, make sure to check beforehand to see if it is legal to do so. Long story short, it's completely possible, but rather involved.

Also, what you want to make the gun out of is an important factor. Milling something like aircraft-grade aluminum is much more challenging than making a paintball gun that looks a little weird, but is still effective. The easiest way to make paintball guns involves almost exclusively PVC piping.

Thanks, I guess. Most of this information is relatively easy to find. Along those lines, google is your friend. Most of the above post I learned when I was around 12, because I was extremely interested in ballistics at the time, namely paintball guns and the like. But the boyish fascination with guns has never left me. It also helps that I love engineering and have a decent understanding of how guns work.