mass

TheGeek

This increase in mass is physical. There is no more addition of particles to the mass, but each particle gets more mass. The accumulating energy is what gives the particles this extra mass. Say you had one block of super energy food, sure it gave you energy to run etc, but it weighed you down carrying it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This increase in mass is physical. There is no more addition of particles to the mass, but each particle gets more mass. The accumulating energy is what gives the particles this extra mass.

Hi Ragib, welcome to SFN. Your statement about increasing mass might be irritating for some people in here. That is because we have a silent agreement to refer to the restmass when talking about mass and identify the remaining difference to the relativistic mass as kinetic energy. It has shown that an inconsistent usage of the term mass gives rise to a lot of unnessecary confusion. So it would be good that when posting you explicitely stated that you´re talking about the relativistic mass or even better if you adopted our terminoligy and use the invariant rest mass.

So, at high speeds, energy is accumulated hence increasing its mass. This increase in mass has no physical form? I am so confused!!!!! :(

The mass is never seen to increase in your own reference frame, since you can always view yourself as being at rest. A difficulty lies in trying to reconcile why your mass, measured by another, depends on their speed relative to yours. That's why, as Atheist comments, we use invariant mass and describe kinetic energy with a separate term (as we already know KE is frame-dependent)

I have heard that to be traveling at speed of light you need to be messless and to go back in time you need to be in negetive mess. How could something be messless?Negetive mess?
Well I was also confused by the statement that some particles have no mass...I will try to help you by quoting an article that opened my eyes...'the mass of the particle is only the measurment of its interior energy(for atom for example it is the sum of energies from electromagnetic and strong interactions mostly)...if a partical is elementary it's mass is zero because there are no interactions in it...' So like Einstein suggested the mass is a type of energy ('condensed energy') and there is no point talking about mass in case of a photon because it is considered to be an elementary particle(it has no structure)

Relativistic mass is the sum of mass plus kinetic energy due to the equivilency of mass and energy. In other words, if we give a mass M a velocity V its kinetic energy is 1/2 MV2. It total energy becomes MC2 plus 1/2 MV2; or M*C2=MC2+1/2MV2, where M* is the relativistic mass.