A million ways to kill a snail....

Royston

If you havn't read any of my previous posts I own giant african land snails. I have a large tank with plenty of burrowing substrate, and have found the snails more 'happy' if cleaning is left to a minimum, and so providing plenty of nutrients for the snails to feed on...they're not fussy as long as there is no advanced (I'm not a biologist) fungi. Basically fluffy food is a no no.

The problem is, over the last couple of weeks they've been breeding, I noticed the circular dance but, due to ignoring the maintenance of the tank (and also due to african snails burying their eggs) I now have over seventy...impossible to release, and not generally popular pets on my hands.

Whatever I feed them they consume...their size can be controlled by the amount of calcium and supplements I feed them, alongside hydrating veg, but that seems unfair to control them to suit my needs (albeit they are snails.)

What is the most humane way to get rid of the little buggers. They won't all sell, I simply don't have the room for any that don't sell. You can probably tell that I find it hard to conciously kill something...they are thriving, healthy snails. BUT THEY MUST DIE ! ...thoughts, opinions.

If you don't want to be creul then I don't in any way recomend dunking them in water with blood worms, it's not pretty. I think the old fasioned gardners snail trap would suit pretty well: just make a hole big enough for them to fall into and fill it with Guiness, they die pissed.

If you don't want to be creul then I don't in any way recomend dunking them in water with blood worms, it's not pretty. I think the old fasioned gardners snail trap would suit pretty well: just make a hole big enough for them to fall into and fill it with Guiness, they die pissed.

They actually have a tipple for stella, so I guess I'll have to fashion a little diving board for them, and literally make them 'walk the plank' into a pint glass. Wish it was 'talk like a pirate day'...hmm need a smiley with an eye patch.:)

put them all in a jar, soak a little bit of cotton wool in ether and drop that in there and close the lid.

they go to sleep, keep the lid on, and they don`t wake up either.

if they`re tiny, then drop them in rapidly boiling water, dead in a nano second.

put them all in a jar' date=' soak a little bit of cotton wool in ether and drop that in there and close the lid.

they go to sleep, keep the lid on, and they don`t wake up either.

[/quote']

That sounds the most humane by far, though I'm not sure where I'd get ether from...Unwins ?? :D I think it would be more fun to sneak up behind one with a pair of leather gloves on and smother their little mouths with a handkerchief soaked in ether.

I'm not sure I could boil them...this is so daft, as soon as you have an attachment with something, however inane it may be to someone else, you just don't want to let it go. I'd feel guilty for a few moments if I stepped on a snail when walking down the road...but if I drop one of 'my' snails (this sometimes happens when I open the lid of the tank, and they're stuck on the underside.) I sit there apologizing to it.

Everytime I see a dent or crack on a shell I feel this wave of guilt...it's a snail for christs sake !

They may not sell as pets, but with a little garlic and wine sauce....

lol, yeah they have been used as a cheap substitute for escargo (not my particular batch.) The babies would make a very light snack indeed.

Though you've just reminded me there's a popular African restaurant just a mile from where I work...perhaps I should ask in there ? At least then I have no direct part in the...boiling / frying.

Ether`s easy to obtain, you`ll need to go to a hardware store that deals with cars, there`s a spray you can buy often called Cold Start (surprisingly to start your engine when it`s been very cold out), this contains pure ether and a Butane propellant, spray a quantity of it into a cup OUTSIDE, let the butane boil off (takes about a minute if you stir it), and you`re left with your pure diethyl ether :)

You could try and sell some.

Why can you not release them? Or is the answer in the name giant african land snails?

I've sold a few...but they really aren't that popular. You can't realease them because although from Africa they can hibernate and survive the cold...in fact they can go without food and water for a long time. By accident I left one in an old tank for 3 months (no food or water) and managed to revive the little sod by breaking the seal that develops on the shell (where the sanil comes out) and soaking it in warm water.

They also have clusters of around 100 eggs, depending on species.

Your right as well though...I have one snail called Sonic who's body is about 8 inches long. They can get to over a foot in the wild depending on how much vegetation and calcium is available. So basically you let a few of those thrive in a field...and you've got big (being the operative word) problems. They're completely banned in the US except for research purposes.

Salt just dehydrates snails / slugs and isn't full proof, it's also very unpleasant for a mollusc. I think I'm gonna stick with the ether idea...let them pass peacefully in their sleep... thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Which totally sucks because I think they're some of the coolest invertebrates out there and have always wanted some.

I always wanted one since seeing an unusual pets slot on a kids programme.

There was the usual red knee tarantulas, stick insects, but the giant snails stuck out the most, they look so primitive, kind of ancient, plus they're great fun to watch (very graceful) and enjoy a good beer. They're very low maintenance (providing you prevent the eggs from hatching) and don't mind being handled...perfect.

btw, if you don`t want to use Ether, there are alternatives, but I`m not sure how "Painless" it is.

Ethyl Acetate, acetone, cyanide, ordinary ethanol, carbon tetrachloride, Chloroform etc....

Ether or Chloroform, maybe 1,1,1 trichloroethylene would ensure "Sleep" and painless death.

it might be an idea to google for the words "Killing Jar", as that`s what`s used by Insect collectors, it`ll give some idea of how it`s done too :)

failing that, 2 paving slabs will be as Instant as it gets!

it might be an idea to google for the words "Killing Jar"' date=' as that`s what`s used by Insect collectors, it`ll give some idea of how it`s done too :)

failing that, 2 paving slabs will be as Instant as it gets![/quote']

I'll give it a look, cheers.

Yeah my Dad recommended a hammer...but I didn't want my snails to have a violent end by my hand, when it's partially my fault they were brought into this world. :)

ya know, if there was a way for you to get them to me, I know where there`s several 10`s of acres of Ex-Wasteland that`s now a nature walk, I`de be happy to let them go over there if you like?

it`s right next to our allotment site, so if I took them right over the other side away from our plots, we`de be fine, they`de be happy and nothing has to die :)

your call...

Well thanks YT2095, I appreciate the thought...though I think it's illegal to release 'GALS' into the wild for a good reason, I'll have a browse to find out exactly the kind of impact they'd have.

I should imagine off the top of my head they could disrupt the British eco-system somewhere down the line (these molluscs multiply and then some...in fact a few of mine were courting just months after hatching...once impregnated that's it they'll just continue laying batches of eggs !!!). But I'll get back to you with some details...if I find any, cheers

This link gives the reasons for not releasing GALS into the wild...mainly as I've already stated the impact on the environment (particularly flora) and the rate of reproduction.

http://www.manandmollusc.net/Odessa/GALS.html

Small note I've just realised that my largest 'Sonic' is actually Achatina Fulica from East Africa...not the Ghana breed achatina achatina

I have a question for you, Do they eat Other slugs/snails?

like common garden british types, if they do, it would have a distinct advantage over the other sort that we get there in the respect that we can SEE these critters easily enough, and MAY make good predatory creatures, please say YES! :)

Strangely enough if I introduced a few humble garden snails into my tank of GALS the GALS would be the ones that suffered...I can't remember the real reason for this, but I'll have a quick gander and get back to you. But as far as I know (although GALS are omnivores) I don't think they'd eat native slugs or snails.

here a some ideas

-dip them in bleach

-put them in the bleach and light it on fire

-rat poison

-wd-40 and a lighter

-shoot them

-blow them up

-squish them

-pour salt on them

-use a hammer

-dunk them in ammonia

-boil them