Interesting experiment with soaked newspaper

EvoN1020v

Few days ago, as I got off the school bus, I walked on my driveway and guess what I saw? To my digust, my most favorite stationary was laying on the ground - soaked!! I thought at that point, it is finished. I will miss the front page news, the updated sports, political flings, people's opinions for the day. I tried to pick the newspaper up but it fell out of my hands instantly. I grimaced as I just tore it. To my second attempt, I put out my both hands and carry it like a baby back to the house. Then I put the wet papers on a bar and left it there to dry. Still at that point, I thought the papers are done, where I won't be able to read, because I assume the inks would get smogged and undefine that I won't be able to read anything. After a few hours, to my surprise the inks on the papers appeared like a brand new dry package. No single mess is displayed on it.

I wonder if the newspaper companies use a special ink? Some kind of magic ink? Hahaa, I don't know, but I was just wondering what they use for ink.

I sat down and sipping my Pepsi, delighted to read the missed news. :cool:

Something absorbent? lol

same idea as a tatoo, if it was just on top of your skin the first time you took a shower it'd just wash off. Instead it's inside the skin.

so maybe when they print the paper they get it inside the paper instead of the outside?

WOW. Very interesting.. I never thought of that. You are thinking "outside of the box". Thus came the next question: What are the papers made of? What are they chemically composed of?

thinking outside the box... or got a tour of a newspaper printing factory several months ago. Choose which one you want to believe. lol.

As for the paper, the newspaper I went to see (Newsday, btw) used to use 100% recycled paper, but they recently switched to 70%, or something like that to cut costs.

Check out this link, it'll explain things better then me.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question463.htm

Food for thought

"Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why."--Bernard M. Baruch

"The power to question is the basis of all human progress." --Indira Ghandi

"The scientific mind does not so much provide the right answers as ask the right questions." --Claude Levi-Strauss

"There is frequently more to be learned from the unexpected questions of a child than the discourses of men, who talk in a road, according to the notions they have borrowed and the prejudices of their education."--John Locke

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions."-- Naguib Mahfouz

"It is not the correct thing to scold children for asking questions: this is about as reasonable as to scold them for breathing or thinking."--Florence Howe Hall

Many newspaper presses are trying to come up with a combination of inks and papers that don't rub off on your hands when you read them. I remember hearing that the process involved wax but I can't remember if it was in the ink or the paper.

It's tricky because water solubility is necessary to keep inks from building up on the printing drums. Too much waterproofing and a sludge forms that smears the type into an illegible mess.

I have this theory that the papers might not be saturated because so it would allows the inks to interact with the papers very well. Phi for All said the processes might involve some waxing. But my fingers would still get black smudges, so I have to wash my hands everytime. Also it depends on the wax's strength. See, when the newspaper is very wet, it is VERY easy to tear it. Usually wax would make things tougher, but it don't work that way on the newspaper. So Phi for All's thesis might be inapporiate.

What do you think?