Skip to content

SuperComputers speeds

Featured Replies

The race to build the fastest superComputer in the world has been going on for some time.

First MegaFLOP computer - IBM 7030 1961
First GigaFLOP computer - Cray 2 1985
First TeraFLOP computer - ASCI Red 1997
First PetaFLOP computer - Roadrunner 2008
First ExaFLOP computer - Frontier 2022

The list is somewhat linear after the advent of ICs in the mid 70s, with a three order of magnitude increase every dozen ( or so ) years, and we should expect ZetaFLOP performance ( Floating Point Operations per Second ) by the mid 2030s.

The Chinese 'LineShine' System id the current #1, at over 2 ExaFLOPs, with the rest of the rankings in this article

LineShine Debuts at No. 1 as the TOP500 Enters a New Global Exascale Era | TOP500

Maybe @Sensei will be the only one interested in this article, but, as someone who still knows how to use a slide-rule ( after learning in the mid-0s, when a calculator cost $300 ), I am amazed at the progress.

  • Author
4 hours ago, MigL said:

after learning in the mid-0s,

Sorry, mid-70s .

OK, I've still got my ARISTO-SCHOLAR LL which I bought when starting my studies at Technical College in 1962 - but disuse and old age mean I'd have to brush up on how to use it )

I also had a circular pocket slide rule but that has long since disappeared.

I just started to learn to use a slide rule but pocket calculators were becoming a thing in the early 70's.

I was in the last class at the navy's nuclear power school to have to use a slide rule c1977. Of course, the entire fleet had been using calculators for well over a decade by then...

  • Author

I was in GR 12, in 1975, when my brother ( actually my dad did ), then in Gr 13 ,bought a Texas Instruments SR-51 calculator for $300 Canadian. We 'shared' that scientific ( with red LEDs ) calculator as that was quite a sum when houses cost $25-30000, and a new car about $3000.
And only 5 years after Tom Hanks used a slide rule to calculate the trajectory for the Lunar Lander's return flight after the LOx tank explosion.

No, wait ... that was a movie.

4 hours ago, npts2020 said:

I was in the last class at the navy's nuclear power school to have to use a slide rule c1977. Of course, the entire fleet had been using calculators for well over a decade by then...

I wouldn't imagine a safety-critical discipline, like naval nuclear work, would change procedures quickly.

Edited by StringJunky

Create an account or sign in to comment

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.