Does Time Even Exist?

MaxCathedral

Most of the following is culled from http://www.space.com, my favorite science page. This one of course being my second favorite.

It appears that a 27 year old untrained theorist named Lynd has said some amazing things about time.

I have heavily edited from the article.

Goals never reached

The most famous paradox invented by Zeno, the Greek philosopher, is called "Achilles and the tortoise." A tortoise gets a 10-meter head start in a race against Achilles. Zeno says the tortoise can never be passed. His logic: When Achilles has run 10 meters, the tortoise will have moved a meter; Achilles goes another meter, and the tortoise crawls 10 more centimeters. The race continues in this ever-more boring and incremental fashion.

A related paradox, called the dichotomy, argues that you can never reach a goal. First you'll have to travel half the distance, then half that distance, and so on. You might as well stay home.

Reality is different, of course -- goals are reached and tortoises often lose. But philosophers and physicists have not been able to explain the paradoxes away.

Lynds claims the paradoxes result from an incorrect physical assumption from long ago. From ancient times to the present, philosophers and physicists have assumed that objects in motion have determined positions at any instant in time. It's not true, Lynds says.

"I'm surprised this hasn't been realized before," Lynds said, calling many aspects of his theory very simple.

No flow of time

One implication of Lynds' work is a really hard to wrap a mind around. If he's right that there are no instants in time related to physical processes, then there is no such thing as a flow of time, because such a flow inherently requires progression through definite instants -- exactly what Lynds forbids.

So are we all frozen in time and space? Impossible, he says.

"If the universe were frozen static at such an instant, this would be a precise static instant of time -- time would be a physical quantity." Again, you'll recall, Lynds does not allow this.

Perhaps you smell another paradox on the horizon.

However, Lynds reasons that the lack of instants is what allows Nature to have time that we can, in turn, watch go by on our clocks. Confused? You are not alone. It will likely be some time before Lynds' ideas are shaken out by his new, lofty peers and determined to be revolutionary, interesting or just plain wrongheaded.

Max: In short Lynd is against the idea " that time can be thought of in physical, definable quantities. In essence, scientists have long assumed that motion can be considered in frozen moments, or instants, even as time flows on."

"There isn't a precise instant underlying an object's motion," he said. "And as its position is constantly changing over time -- and as such, never determined -- it also doesn't have a determined position at any time"

Understand? Waiter, check please?

Time does not exist.....I think?

First off.

Math as we have made it encompass is man-made.

Applying the "halves" of math to reality is HUMAN ERROR.

Much of math is universal - this is a stupid illogical application of math that (obviously) is wrong in reality.

One can use halves and never get the reality answer, or one can use addition and multiplcation and get the reality answer.

What this person is saying is that time does not have continuous values.

It's idiotic for ANYONE here to even try to prove or disprove this.

Time is merely a function of space.

If space is discrete, then it's likely time is as well.

But this person has provided an age old concept (this is nothing new) with no evidence that I see.

And ultimately, who cares.

Intelligence, you constantly surprise me....

First...math is not a man made structure.

One plus one equals two. If there were no humans on the planet that that would still be true.

This lack on your part to grasp abstract thought as shown by your crude remarks concerning religion fascinates me.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy" Act 1, Scene 5.

Max - you are incorrect. It's funny how you try to insult people while yourself looking so illinformed and helpless.

SOME of math is universal.

SOME is not.

Humans have added to the universal math with INCORRECT math. You sir are stinking of incorrect math.

Thus the stupid halves problem.

Yet further proof that religious people cannot possibly comprehend anything in reality.

I think what we have here is a case of Einsteins Gulf - the gulf separating our abstract model of the universe from the physical reality itself. in order to model the universe it is essential for us to rely on a mathematical structure (unless someone discovers something better than maths). However this does leave with it various artefacts which may or may not exist in the physical world. the "half" has been brought up.... one can mathematically imagine "half" a fundamental particle, or even half a particle like a proton, but no such thing actually exists. when considering the mathematics of a situation we must always be careful to also consider the physical principles that underly the model, blind faith in the maths alone is likely to lead to error.

Time in its most basic concept is merely an arbirary but constant unit of measurement used to quantify Change. It is also that which stops everything form occuring at once.

the key is in the 1`st line, since we use a distinct quantifiable unit called the second. then we make time between events finite. it will take you 10 second to reach your goal, the creature will take100 seconds.

If on the other hand we were use the sliding scale of time between 0 and it`s reciprocal infinity, without a starting point, then your dichotmy would apply, because on this scale there are no reference markers, and we can always divide by 2 or multiply by 2 and still be in the same position :)

intelligence, why do you constantly feel the need to be obnoxious? and lower yourself to the level of an UNintelligent GRUNT?

this isn`t the 1`st thread I`ve observed where your behaviour is such... what`s it all about dude?

there`s a saying and it`s my own saying, " You can dim someone elses bulb, but it doesn`t make yours any brighter"

think about it!

i think i've said this before on some other thread, but the way i see it of coarse time exists. An object moves from point A to point B, it takes a certain amount of time for this change to occur. Time is an inevitable property of space. I agree with intelligence that some of our endevours in more complex forms of math can be incorrect, or at least not really applicable to real life (though i guess a lot is too, but the line can be fine)

"Yet further proof that religious people cannot possibly comprehend anything in reality."

perhaps Max was wrong in subtle attempts to insult you, but no more wrong than you. Proof cannont be prooven. Even science is about faith, so allow people to their own beliefs. I do not try to offer proof to how my religious beliefs are possible, thats ridiculous because that would not be faith. Now science is about a different thing of attempting to proove, but you must always take a leap of faith in choosing what data to use in your conclusions. So do as you do and do not preach, it does not work (is my advice).

There is a scientific theory, i believe it is involved with the theory of chaos, some people have told me i was wrong, but i know i saw it in an article on the subject, it is : sometimes seeming random data is actually caused by a perfectly ordered function, i'm not sure if this could also be said that a seeming ordered function is actually random---- but anyhow i use this as another testament to reason why must question everything : perhaps all of our scientific beliefs are ignorant assumptions we make because there are factors about the functions that we cannot see detect or comprehend. It would be foolish to put complete faith in this as well, but i think we aught to accept it as a possibiltiy, and a reason not to preach anything as being proovable.

I see someone didn't read the original post. And please be civil.

Originally posted by MaxCathedral

Reality is different, of course -- goals are reached and tortoises often lose. But philosophers and physicists have not been able to explain the paradoxes away.

Originally posted by Intelligence

Sorry I am often an angry person, it comes from living in a world with FEELERS and not THINKERS.

You don't see this as somewhat contradictory? As anger is a feeling, and one not particularly conducive to rational thought, surely that places you in the former category.

Oh God.

You just don't get it.

It's like everyone here loves to try to pick the shit out of everything.

No it's not contradictory. I don't let my feelings bother my attempts to think critically.

Come on man, quit nit-picking. Next you'll attack spelling.

Originally posted by Intelligence

Oh God.

You just don't get it.

It's like everyone here loves to try to pick the shit out of everything.

No it's not contradictory. I don't let my feelings bother my attempts to think critically.

Ahhh...you're one of those who believe their thinking is not influenced by their feelings :) .

Come on man, quit nit-picking. Next you'll attack spelling.
Not here I won't. I do that only when I get paid for it.

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing new in this thought experiment. Fire an arrow at a target 50 meters away and then go and retrieve the arrow. Step back to the towards the point where the arrow was fired at half of the total distance every time. ie- 50m-25m-12.5m-6.25m. This would result in the point where the arrow was fire never being reached as moving by half the distance every time will never take you to the goal, thus making motion impossible.

This is of course rubbish. This experiment has people confusing very large numbers with infinity.

Intelligence was a whiney little brat wasnt he? I never read this thread before.

You could have changed his name to something far more insulting but I suppose 'stupid ****ing halfwit' would be immature and look bad on behalf of the mods and admins. Still...