How to change everything

To Quote Micheal Stevens:
"How do you rethink- Everything? Who gets to direct the costs and tradeoffs. How do you get collaboration between every local and national government, when what works in one place wont work everywhere. When decisions affect jobs in one place and food in another. When not just things have to be rethought but habits, and traditions, and values. How do you achieve consensus when the solution isn't obvious to the senses, is far away in space and time, requires solutions that affect people in different ways, and as a product of science always carries some uncertainty "
     - The Future Of Reasoning
This is a thread for the discussion of such ideas/solutions

Start implanting chips in people’s brains and control what they show, including genAI fictional content to reinforce the baseline narrative at every chance 

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 10:32 AM, swansont said:

“everything” is rather open-ended. Can you narrow this down?

What i mean are things like behavior, biases, corruption, Government, cities, etc
For the better ofc.

Edited by Scientific_potato

23 minutes ago, Scientific_potato said:

What i mean are things like behavior, biases, corruption, Government, cities, etc
For the better ofc.

Still too broad. Behavior and government are not really interchangeable 

Please narrow your focus.

I think we need to divest ourselves of capitalism, personally, and the best way to start that is to focus early on teaching children ways to succeed through cooperation as opposed to competition. And I'm not talking about getting rid of competition, just educating young people on how humans get more positive outcomes by cooperating with each other than we do competing against each other. A few generations of that type of focus might remove much that is highly toxic in our societies.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, swansont said:

Still too broad. Behavior and government are not really interchangeable 

Please narrow your focus.

its kinda supposed to be broad?
unless you're not okay with that, i can see if i can narrow it more if you'd like.

Edited by Scientific_potato

2 hours ago, Scientific_potato said:

unless you're not okay with that, i can see if i can narrow it more if you'd like.

Broad topics tend to spawn multiple lines of discussion. We prefer one topic per thread.

2 hours ago, Scientific_potato said:

Trust me, in online discussion, you want the conversations to be very specific. The probability of reaching some kind of consensus or meaningful stance is much higher when the topic is more focused. And as swansont mentioned, people responding to multiple ideas in the same thread is chaotic and hard to follow.

If you want a better topic than moving away from capitalism, what about changing our education processes? I've heard some great approaches designed to better prepare children for modern life, and I've often thought we leave too much to parents in the early years, and then wonder why kids get so screwed up.