Military Science - What is the subject that will team me these specific military concepts?

MathHelp

Hi there,

I often see on the news military analysts using phrases like "...a meeting engagement" or "...along the line of contact". I would like to know more about these and similar terms. What subject or type of textbook should I be reading to learn more about this?

People will often refer to books like Sun Tsu Art of War etc etc but it isn't really what I am looking for. I think of the Art of War as being strategic principles. They don't actually describe or explain terminology used in battles. As an aside, I also don't understand why the Art of War is often recommended reading. It seems like the principles could be reworded to be clearer and put in a more modern day textbook with examples and practice problems. If the ideas in the Art of War are so important, they really should be presented to students in a way that helps them think about the concepts and ideas.

So, anyone here every go to a military officer training school? What was the subject called where they taught you about meeting engagements, line of contact etc etc? Are there any textbooks on the subject?

Best thing is a search engine for each concept and it will keep you current.

Institute for the Study of War will give a running record of what's going on in the major conflicts atm. If you track the conflicts that interest you, you can jump in and gradually pick up the military lingo and see the right context.

25 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Best thing is a search engine for each concept and it will keep you current.

The trouble I am having is I already know what "meeting engagement" and "line of contact" means. What I want to do is learn things that I don't know that I don't know. There is no way to google the term/concepts unless I know it exists and the only way to find out these terms/concepts exist would be to figure out what the subject is that teaches this stuff.

Institute for the Study of War will give a running record of what's going on in the major conflicts atm. If you track the conflicts that interest you, you can jump in and gradually pick up the military lingo and see the right context.

Not looking to understand conflicts, i'm looking to understand whay I previously would have referred to as "Military Strategy". However, since getting several books on military strategy I notice that they don't have the information that I am after in them. I can only assume that it is some other subject.

There are no terminology textbooks.
Military terminology changes wwith the times.

Well, I am more looking for textbooks/subjects that explain concepts. Terminology does change with the times, but you can still have books/subjects that explain what current terminology means. The information taught to officers where they learn what a "meeting engagement" is must come from somewhere.

7 hours ago, MathHelp said:

So, anyone here every go to a military officer training school? What was the subject called where they taught you about meeting engagements, line of contact etc etc? Are there any textbooks on the subject?

Have checked the curriculum at this type of school? They might list their textbooks and/or provide a syllabus for each course.