Questions about creating system image for windows 10

kenny1999

Hi. I am very new to creating system image, I have some practical and conceptual questions about this issue.

1. I am running on win10 but I find that there is no direct button of creating system image in win10, but I will then be redirected to a title "win 7". Does it still work?

2. Is system image created under windows 10 (not a third-party software) 1:1? Will there be anything missing or changed for the image? Does it also contain the files / data created or third-party software installed by me?

3. One day, for example, one year later, I restore my system from the image I created one year ago. Will the new system time be the new time or the old time? I am not sure but I think it will be the new time, however, in that case, will it cause any problems to the software installed? Will the creation time and last edited time of the files remain unchanged or updated to the new time?

4. Last but not least, when one day, if Windows 10 is no longer available on Microsoft website, will I still be able to restore to the image I created?

Thanks for answering.

Edited by kenny1999

On 9/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, kenny1999 said:

3. One day, for example, one year later, I restore my system from the image I created one year ago. Will the new system time be the new time or the old time? I am not sure but I think it will be the new time, however, in that case, will it cause any problems to the software installed? Will the creation time and last edited time of the files remain unchanged or updated to the new time?

It depends on the application. There are applications with license key files that are time (date) limited.

The motherboard has a built-in real-time clock (RTC). It has a battery (therefor you need to replace it from time-to-time when it is exhausted).

The operating system can be configured (and usually is) to update the time from the Internet (if you have network access).

2. Is system image created under windows 10 (not a third-party software) 1:1? Will there be anything missing or changed for the image? Does it also contain the files / data created or third-party software installed by me?

1:1 is binary mirror created by dd on Linux mentioned in the other thread.

4. Last but not least, when one day, if Windows 10 is no longer available on Microsoft website, will I still be able to restore to the image I created?

Disconnect from the Internet, change the date, restart the computer and work a bit (a few days) on it and the installed applications, you will see if they work or not, without the Internet connection. Some applications verify the validity of the license key over the Internet.

Edited by Sensei