The ethics and issues of recreational drug use

Steve81

As someone who has dabbled and at times admittedly abused recreational drugs, I have a few thoughts and observations to share.

Clearly, the abuse of recreational drugs, including relatively safe ones like marijuana can lead to a variety of issues. At one point in my not so distant past, I was abusing medical marijuana to the point of having my brain essentially being deactivated on a 24/7 basis. Obviously this is not a positive outcome. 

At the same time, I can appreciate the effects of moderated use. The THC had the effect of making me artificially happy, and capable of enjoying things I would ordinarily write off as being idiotic. I gained an appreciation for Adam Sandler movies as a result of this, and understand his market appeal as a result.

As far as ethics go, my opinion is, if it’s not destructive, go for it. Just take great care such that moderated use doesn’t devolve into abuse.

All constructive comments and criticisms are welcome.

Edited by Steve81

7 minutes ago, Steve81 said:

No, but it is a place where I can exchange ideas with intelligent individuals, receive constructive feedback, and evolve my ideas accordingly.

We’d like a reasonably clear point of discussion.

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

Thank you for sharing. I’m obv new here and will surely benefit from your helpful guidance

If you don’t like what I have to say, you are well within your rights to ignore me. However, as I stated in the OP, constructive comments and criticisms are welcome. Your comments are not constructive, and will be ignored in the future.

1 minute ago, swansont said:

We’d like a reasonably clear point of discussion.

Simply discussing the ethics of drug usage, and how it may relate to policy matters.

Edited by Steve81

13 minutes ago, Steve81 said:

I gained an appreciation for Adam Sandler movies as a result of this

I did enjoy a good LOL at the above.

A possible tack for an ethics thread might be to explore the OP question here: Is it okay to make yourself a little stupid with drugs, if it doesn't harm you, and helps you relax and enjoy activities?

I lean towards yes.  With the caveat that stupidity can be verrrry seductive.  If you value an intellectual life, then "robotripping" (the general term I've heard for self-IQ-lowering) might be something to do in moderation.  Especially where some respite is needed from possible overthinking of things.

Just now, TheVat said:

I did enjoy a good LOL at the above.

A possible tack for an ethics thread might be to explore the OP question here: Is it okay to make yourself a little stupid with drugs, if it doesn't harm you, and helps you relax and enjoy activities?

I lean towards yes.  With the caveat that stupidity can be verrrry seductive.  If you value an intellectual life, then "robotripping" (the general term I've heard for self-IQ-lowering) might be something to do in moderation.  Especially where some respite is needed from possible overthinking of things.

As you might gather from my volume of output, I have some issues with overthinking. There are reasons for it I'm willing to discuss in private if interested.

6 minutes ago, TheVat said:

some respite is needed

This is the key point for me: well-being, mental and otherwise. 

Many people turn to alcohol. That often brings obvious social problems along with it. Drugs of various types, especially and primarily recreational or medical marijuana, can often lead to better results and fewer negative outcomes for the patient and society more broadly.

There’s also been great work treating resistant depression with MDMA and and Ketamine, but I see that as requiring physician guidance much like blood pressure or diabetes medicine.

Respite from being too smart or too intelligent, however? That’s a need not enough of our fellow citizens seem to exhibit. 

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

This is the key point for me: well-being, mental and otherwise. 

Many people turn to alcohol. That often brings obvious social problems along with it. Drugs of various types, especially and primarily recreational or medical marijuana, can often lead to better results and fewer negative outcomes for the patient and society more broadly.

There’s also been great work treating resistant depression with MDMA and and Ketamine, but I see that as requiring physician guidance much like blood pressure or diabetes medicine.

Respite from being too smart or too intelligent, however? That’s a need not enough of our fellow citizens seem to exhibit. 

Thank you for your thoughtful response.