Microtesla measurement from smart TV

ChrisCOD

Hello. I have conducted a measurement recently which showed that I measured in excess of 1500 microteslas from my smart TV. The smart TV was unplugged from the wall and so was therefore turned off. My question is, would this be a normal measurement for a smart TV, and if so, what would be inside the smart TV to cause this measurement arise?

A microtesla is 0.01 gauss, so you measured 1.5 gauss. That’s about twice the earth’s field; not particularly strong.

Where did you measure the field, and does it vary with position, at the same distance from the TV?

28 minutes ago, swansont said:

A microtesla is 0.01 gauss, so you measured 1.5 gauss. That’s about twice the earth’s field; not particularly strong.

Where did you measure the field, and does it vary with position, at the same distance from the TV?

Could it be from static electricity in or on the tv?

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Could it be from static electricity in or on the tv?

Static shouldn’t give you a magnetic field. You need current flow or a permanent magnet.

A modern unplugged TV screen won’t have either, but speakers have fairly strong magnets.

21 minutes ago, swansont said:

Static shouldn’t give you a magnetic field. You need current flow or a permanent magnet.

A modern unplugged TV screen won’t have either, but speakers have fairly strong magnets.

Right. Yeah, magnets. I was trying to think what is magnetic in a modern tv and forgot about the speakers.