Artist seeks internet-enabled third ear

Kettle

This is taken from the Beeb

Imagine sprouting an extra ear on your arm that whispers sweet nothings to someone else.

While prosthetic surgery is generally thought of in the terms of replacing a missing or defective body part, a group of artists is looking at prosthetics as a means of enhancing the body's form and functions.

The Australian-based Tissue Culture and Art (TCA) project is growing a third ear fashioned out of the skin and cartilage of Stelarc, a performer who plans to implant it on his forearm.

This is the latest undertaking of UK-based Stelarc, whose many projects and performances explore prosthetic augmentation of the body.

This is taking prosthetic enhancement far beyond replacement limbs, organs etc. What are people's opinions on the ethics surrounding this? Is the process of prosthetic enhancement ethically sound or just a whole can of worms that should stay securely shut?

that could be cool. People would probably want extra arms though, that ear thing sounds weird. Don't know if its ethical, but sounds kind of neat. I bet some people would prosethetisize themselves to look like those hindu gods that have all sorts of extra limbs.

"At the heart of all his work is the artist's belief that the body has become obsolete and seriously needs to be re-engineered. "

Couldn't he just say that instead of growing an ear on his arm. What a goof.

"Constructing the ear on the arm also means I'll always have something up my sleeve," says Stelarc with a grin.

While it cannot hear, with an implanted sound chip and a proximity sensor, the ear will be able to speak to anyone who gets close to it.

:D that's genius. Apparently it will broadcast RealAudio sounds. He has to carry a tablet PC and a modem to make it work, but I've got some suggestions of where he could stuff those. I'm going to write to my MP to increase his grant.

He might as well dance naked in the streets singing "wooo, look at me, look at me, I'm controversial, LOVE MEEEEE".

"The body is obsolete", what a prententious twat.

This is not prosthetic enhancement. He is going to have an ear-shaped piece of flesh that does not work on his arm. Engineering and fitting a working limb or additional organ - now that would be an achievement.

Artist my arse.

• 3 months later...